Forty-Four

Sleeping in the guest bedroom when I was planning on spending the night with Juan was extremely weird. It didn't feel right, yet it felt needed at the same time. When I wake up this morning, I carefully make my way downstairs, just in case Juan is still sleeping.

To my surprise he's sitting at his dining room table, scooping large amounts of cereal into his mouth. "Morning." he says through a mouthful of cereal.

I laugh, sitting in front of him. "Hey."

"Feel free to grab anything you see in the fridge or the pantry. I wasn't really in the cooking mood this morning." he shrugs, looking down at his phone.

I shake my head slowly. "I'm not hungry right now. Thanks though." he nods, looking down at his phone awkwardly.

We sit in awkward silence for what feels like an eternity before he drops the phone and looks back up at me. "Can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"When we agreed to just being friends," he clears his throat uncomfortably, looking down, and then proceeds to lightly bang his spoon on the bowl. "we're not—fuck— we're 'friends' who aren't seeing other people, right?" he looks up at me sheepishly.

It takes a lot of hard work for me to keep a straight face. Its hilarious that the always confident, cocky guy is struggling so much just to get a few words out. "I don't know Juan, what do you plan on doing?" I grin, shrugging. "You're the one who wants to keep this whole 'just friends' thing going on."

He chuckles, painfully. "You're killing me here, Cami." he leans back in his seat and crosses his arms over his chest. "I want you. But, if you want to see other people, we can do that. If you don't, we won't do that."

I look down as if there's actually a decision to be made. When I look up to see his nervous expression I just roll my eyes playfully. "No, Juan. I don't want to see anybody else. The whole reason I'm sticking through this being friends thing is because at the end of it, I want something with you. Nobody else but you."

He lets out a breath of relief. "Thank god. Because I really only want you too, Cami."

I bite back a grin. "Anyway, what are we doing today, friend?"

"Well, I was thinking may—"

I perk up in my seat and bang my hands on the table. "I've got it! I've been eyeing your pool since we got here, can we hang out by the pool today?"

He chuckles, shaking his head. "Yeah, sure. We can do whatever you want, Cami."

I laugh. "Sorry for cutting you off. I still have a whole other day here, we can do whatever you had planned tomorrow, okay?" He nods. "Mk, Im gonna go get in my bathing suit, you do the same." when I don't see him make any effort to get up, I go around the table and with a lot of effort, pull him out of his chair. "Come on! It'll be fun." I then proceed to drag him up to where the stairs begin. "Okay, I cant take you all the way up, big guy. Go!"

He chuckles, but complies. "Fine, I'll meet you outside once you're done." he rolls his eyes, walking down the hallway. "I know you're gonna take forever doing your girl stuff."

I laugh, walking into my room.

***

After rummaging through my suitcase, I find a bikini with cute patterns and make my way to the backyard where I know Juan is already waiting for me.

"Hey, friend

"Hey, friend." I smile, plopping down next to Juan on one of the many pool chairs that he has scattered around his pool.

He chuckles, shaking his head. He looks out at the beautiful greenery surrounding us. "You don't have to put this much emphasis on the friends thing."

I shake my head. "Mmm, nope. I'm taking our friendship very seriously."

He looks down at me, his gaze lingering on my breasts. I place my hands under his chin and bring it up so that he's looking at my eyes. "My eyes are up here, friend."

He grins, rolling his eyes. "Well, come on, let's get in the pool." he stands, and walks towards the pool.

I don't miss how good his shirtless body looks in his swim trunks that are tight in all the right places as I get up and follow his lead. "Ready? We jump at 3." I nod, laughing.

"1...2...3!" we both count down in unison before jumping in.

I laugh, as I emerge from under the water. "This water feels amazing, Juan."

He nods, moving the wet hair from his face. "You know what this reminds me of?"

"Hmm?"

"That first night we spent in New York, when you came up to the roof and I pulled you into the pool with me." he chuckles. "You were so pissed at me."

I laugh, shaking my head. "You've know how to push my buttons since the beginning."

"And you've loved it from the beginning." he grins.

I roll my eyes. "Anyway, I say we do a little Q&A. It'll help us get closer to our goal of knowing more about each other." I shrug, swaying around in the water.

He nods. "Okay, sure. I go first. How old were you when you had your first heartbreak?"

I cover my face in embarrassment. "Oh, god."

He laughs loudly. "Answer the question." he nudges me.

"I had just turned 16. This guy I had been talking to asked me to go to a school dance with him, I obviously said yes. He wanted to go have sex in his car in the middle of the dance, I said no, so he found another desperate girl and took her to his car." I laugh when I see Juan's jaw drop. "I had to find my own ride home that night. Let's just say I was completely devastated for weeks after it."

He looks like he's fighting back a laugh. "That fucking sucks, Cami."

I shrug. "Eh, it's not that bad. She ended up pregnant a few months later."

"By him?!" he asks with wide eyes.

"Mmhm."

He laughs loudly. "That's the best story you've ever told me, Cami."

"I was heartbroken, you asshole!" I wack his arm, trying to hold back a laugh. I fail miserably, breaking out in a laugh too. "Nah, over the years I just find it a funny story. That could've easily been me if he hadn't been such a dick."

"Exactly." he nods.

"What about you? When was your first heartbreak?"

"I was 16 too. I was just really getting into music and I didn't put my girlfriend as my top priority, so I ended it. She was my first girlfriend, I thought she was going to be my wife, my future, my everything." he chuckles, shaking his head. "I was obsessed with her."

I smile sadly. "Aww, yours is so much more depressing then mine." I laugh lightly.

He laughs, nodding. "Yeah." he clears his throat after a few moments of silence. "Hey, would you mind if I asked some friends to come over? We could have a little barbecue or something."

I shake my head. "No, not at all, go ahead."

"Great." he starts getting out of the pool. "Just let me make a quick call and I'll be right back."

I nod, beginning to float. "I'll be waiting. I'm not done with the questions yet!" he nods, running inside.