Thirty-Two

"Yeah, well it's too late for that." Juan says, shaking his head, turning on his heels, towards the door.

I quickly grab Juan's arm. "Juan wait. I'm sorry." I apologize with a shaky voice.

He simply nods, any sign of his warm, welcoming eyes gone. "Yeah...whatever. I'll see you later, Camila." Camila?! He never calls me by my full name. He always calls me Cami. I frown when he yanks his arm out of my grip, walking out of the room.

I squeeze my eyes shut, breathing in and out. My pathetic attempt of not crying. It's okay, he probably just needs time to cool off. He'll be back to his regular self tomorrow.

***

I was wrong. I've never seen Juan so serious in my life. Well, I guess he was really only being that way towards me. He hasn't talked to me for like three days already. I caught him and Sabrina being silly and playful at the breakfast bar while I just ate breakfast alone. It's not long before Sabrina is dragging Juan over to the table I'm seated at. "Come on Juan!" she practically has to drag him over to me.

After a few seconds of Sabrina's little body struggling to pull Juan towards the table, he gives in, letting her guide him to where I'm seated. I'm not gonna lie, I feel my heartbeat quicken the closer they get to me. Juan hasn't even made eye contact with me these past few days—except to give me dirty, cold, looks when he caught me glancing at him. Which was often.

"Hey bestie number two!" Sabrina exclaims once they've both taken a seat in front of me.

I laugh. "Hey, Sabrina." my gaze turns to Juan for a split second who is tapping away at his screen, his attention never turning to me.

She wiggles around in her seat, clearly excited about something. "Okay, soooo, you'll finally be able to meet Ben! He's coming to visit me tomorrow. And—here's the catch—he's bringing a friend." she wiggles her eyebrows suggestively at me.

I nod slowly. "Uh-huh." not really getting what she's saying.

She rolls her eyes, sagging in her seat. "You guys would be perfect for each other!" she exclaims.

I stiffen at her comment and so does Juan. His eyes immediately dart up to mine and stay there, waiting to hear what I have to say. "Uh...thanks but no thanks, Sabrina." I smile awkwardly.

She frowns. "But why? You aren't seeing somebody that I don't know about, are you?!" she asks.

I quickly shake my head, taking my eyes off of Juan's and onto hers. "No. I'm not. I just don't want a boyfriend or anything else like that right now." I say, shrugging putting a forkful of waffle into my mouth, chewing slowly.

"I respect that." Juan says nodding, I can already tell whatever is coming out of his mouth next will not be anything good. "I mean, why lead a guy on when the whole time you have no intentions of giving him a fair shot, right?" he rests his elbows on the table, giving me a questioning look.

I swallow my food, choosing to ignore his comment, not missing the way Sabrina's eyes flicker from Juan to me and the back to him. "Look Sabrina, I'm sure he's nice and all but I'm good. Thanks though. I'm just excited that I finally get to meet this famous fiancé of yours." I pick up her hand that's rested on top of the table. "And I really need to talk to him about how he came up with the money to afford this thing." I say playing with the huge rock on her ring finger. "You know, I would consider getting engaged just for the gorgeous ring." I sigh.

She giggles, pulling her hand away. "You're obsessed with my ring."

I roll my eyes, sitting back. "Because it's gorgeous! And huge. And shiny."

I feel my blood boiling when Juan scoffs, rolling his eyes. Sabrina also looks at him with wide eyes, probably not used to her friend being this rude. I get that he's mad but he doesn't have to make it this obvious that somethings going on between us. "Are you okay, Juan?" she asks, giving him a worried look.

He stands, gives me one last dirty look, and walks away, heading towards the elevator. I sink lower into my seat awkwardly. "So..." I trail off, thinking of what to say. I look at my half eaten plate of food. "The food here is good, right?"

She nods slowly, turning back to look in the direction that Juan left. "Uh huh." she stays quiet for a few more seconds, her eyebrows scrunched up, clearly confused. "Hey, what was that all about? I had never seen him act that way towards you."

I shrug, playing with the food on my plate. "Beats me. Maybe he's just having an off day."