Forty-One

"You still have to meet my sister and father." Juan says as he walks into the guest room that I stayed in last night.

I drop onto the bed, in a childish manner. "But I just barely made it through with your aunt and mom."

He chuckles. "You did great, Cami." he was right. My time with Juans mother and aunt went great. We ate lunch and then just talked for hours. "I'm sure you'll do just as great with my dad and sister."

"Why weren't your dad and sister here earlier?" I ask curiously.

He clears his throat, somewhat uncomfortably. "Um, well, my sister was out with friends and my parents are divorced. I can't remember if I've ever told you. They just aren't around each other unless it's necessary, ya know?"

I frown, nodding. "Yeah."

He shakes his head, taking a seat next to me. "No. No, sympathy face. I hate that sympathy face. My parents are fine. They tolerate each other, they even seem like friends sometimes. It's fine." I rest my shoulder on him, nodding.

"That's really good. I had tons of friends growing up who went through complete hell because of how much their divorced parents fought."

He shakes his head. "No, we were never like that. My parents fought for a while but they're perfectly fine now. Some people still think they're together because of how cool they are with each other." I feel the vibration of his chuckle on my head.

"So, I'll be meeting them at the party then?"

"Mmhm."

"What exactly should I wear for that? Formal? Casual? Not too formal, not too casual?" I ask sitting up straight, feeling the nerves bubble up now.

"Calm down, Cami. Your nerves are gonna radiate off onto me. Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in." he bumps my shoulder with his playfully. "You're gonna do great." he kisses my temple gently before standing up. "Now get ready, the party is probably all set up by now."

***

"Do I look trashy?" I ask Juan thirty minutes later. "This is the best I could do in such little time." I chew my bottom lip nervously. "I mean, I guess I could change one more time. Should I change? Is this dress too short? Juan, you're not helping!" I whine loudly.

Juan clasps my face in his hands. "You look fine. Gorgeous. Like always." he goes to lean in but then stops, he sighs letting my face go.

"Why'd you stop?" I pout. 

"We're just friends, remember?"

I purse my lips together, nodding. "Right." I keep forgetting that.

He smirks, placing his hand on the small of my back, leading me out of the door.

I look down at my outfit once more on our way down the staircase. "Are you sure I don't look stupid?"

"You look great."

"Okay.." I say back shakily. I'm wearing a yellow, flowered sundress. I don't necessarily think I look bad, I'm just really nervous.

Once we descend from the stairs, I'm shocked to see what an intimate party is going on. There's maybe 25 people sprawled out between Juan's living room, kitchen and backyard that has a table full of treats and a huge bouncy house.  Everyone is peacefully eating, laughing, and dancing to the music.

Juan nudges me once I stop walking. "You'll do fine." he whispers into my ear reassuringly. I nod, continuing to walk.

"Juan!" we both turn to look in the direction of the booming voice. I see a handsome man, maybe in his late forties walking towards us with a wide smile. I don't even have to give him a second glance to know that this is Juan's father.

"Papa!" Juan takes his hand off the small of my back for a moment to embrace his Dad in a hug. After a few moments of small talk, Juan turns to look at me. "This is Camila. The woman I was talking to you about." Juan wraps his arm around my waist, drawing me in closer to his side.

I smile, reaching out to shake his hand. "Hi. It's nice to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine." he chuckles.

I smile shyly, placing a strand of hair behind my ear. "And who do we got here?" asks another girl, walking into our little circle that's been formed. It's also very clear that this is Manuela, Juan's sister. They also look a lot alike.

"Manuela, this is Camila, Camila, this is Manuela, my older sister." before I have a chance to say much, she crushes me into a hug.

"You're gorgeous! You better not let this one go, Juan."

I laugh nervously. "Thank you."

Juan rolls his eyes, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "Let's go mingle with other people now, okay?"

I laugh, shaking my head. "Sure."