Sixty-One

I shake my head quickly, not daring to turn and look at Juan. "No, no. I'm fine. I'll just wait for everyone else to leave."

"No, no." Sabrina says loudly. "You wanted to go to bed so bad. Now go." she looks over at Juan. "You'll make an exception for her, right?"

Slowly, I turn to look up at Juan who's still besides me. "Uh," he clears his throat, looking down at me. "yeah. Of course." he looks back to Sabrina, giving her a tight lipped smile.

"I-" I begin to shake my head.

"Its fine, Camila. I can take you with me." Juan says, nodding.

I almost don't even know what to say. This is the most he's talked to me in months. "Uh, thanks."

Sabrina smiles widely. "So its settled. You guys are leaving together. I'll leave with the rest of the girls."

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" my voice is calm, but I know my stare is pleading for her to say yes.

She shakes her head, smirking. "Nope. I'm all good."

If I could, I'd strangle her on the spot. "Alright then..." I turn to look at Juan. "So...I'll just go with you then."

He nods. "Yeah..." we stare at each other awkwardly. "Okay, well the car is waiting downstairs. Are you ready?" he asks, clearing his throat.

"Yeah." I nod quickly. "I have to go to the bathroom really quick though, can you just wait in the car for me?" I ask. "I'll be super quick."

"Yeah, sure."

I wait until he walks downstairs, out of the VIP section before hitting Sabrina's arm. Probably more hard than I should have, but I'm mad at her, so I don't care at the moment. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" I ask, trying to keep my voice down.

She rubs her arm, grimacing. "Okay, ouch. That was unnecessary. I'm trying to help you! This car ride with him could change your life! You should be thanking me." she crosses her arms over her chest glaring at me.

"Change my life? Okay, that sounds a bit extreme."

"Is it thought?" she asks. "You love him, he loves you. If you guys talk shit out and work it out, this could be amazing for the both of you! He could be the one for you, you never know."

I sigh, running my hands over my face. "I cant handle all of this right now. All I wanted was to go back to the hotel and get some sleep, not have to ride in the car with Juan."

"Okay, I didn't mean to pressure you. This is just what tonight could turn out to be. Don't rush it if it doesn't feel right to talk about it with him. Just...don't freak yourself out." she smiles sadly.

I nod. "Okay, yeah." I take a deep breath in. "I have to go. He's waiting for me." I roll my eyes.

"Have funnn." she smiles.

I shake my head, turning to walk down the stairs. Once I reach the end of the stairs I'm shocked to see Juan waiting. "Is something wrong?" I ask, confused.

He shakes his head. "No. I just didn't want you walking out of here alone and into the dark." he clears his throat, nodding. "You probably wouldn't have known which car I was in anyway. Let's go?"

I try not to react at the fact of how sweet he is for staying and waiting for me. "Yeah." he lets me walk in front of him and I almost flinch when he presses his warm hand to my lower back, leading me through the crowd of dancing strangers.

We walk next to each other in silence until we reach the black escalade. He opens the back door for me, letting me slide into the backseat first, and then he follows, taking a seat besides me. "Just to the hotel, Joey. Thanks." Juan tells the driver, leaning back in his seat.

We sit in uncomfortable silence for the entire thirty minute drive to the hotel and I almost let out a sigh of relief when Joey opens my door for me, letting me take a breath of fresh air. "Thank you." I smile, walking around the car.

I feel a flutter in the pit of my stomach to see him standing there, waiting for me. We walk quietly into the hotel lobby. "Uh, which floor are you on?" he asks.

"Fifth."

"I can walk you to the door, if you want." he says with a shrug.

"Are you sure? You dont have to if you dont want-"

"I'm sure." he smiles with a nod.

I nod slowly. "Yeah, okay..." if I said no, I would be rude for it, and I honestly just want to feel him besides me for a little bit longer.

We ride up the elevator together in silence, stopping at the fifth floor. "Thanks for the ride." I smile awkwardly, pulling out my key card from my purse. I walk out of the elevator, expecting him to not follow me, but he does.

We reach my door and just stare at each other awkwardly. "Uh," he sticks both hands into his front pockets, nodding. "yeah, no problem."

I look up at him, wanting him to say something else. Anything. "Okay, well I should get some sleep. I've got a flight back to California early in the morning." I give him a tight smile, beginning to enter the key slot to my door. "Goodnight.." I say, opening the door slowly.

I take a step in and almost let out a sigh of relief when he calls out for me. "Camila."

I turn my head to look at him. "Yeah?"