Sixty-Six

I'm in shock at the feeling of his lips on mine, but the shock only lasts for a moment. I quickly kiss him back, he puts his hand on the nape of my neck. He deepens the kiss by letting his tongue slide into my mouth slowly, almost as if he's testing out the waters. The kiss continues for a few more seconds before I pull away slowly. "Danny, what the hell." I laugh out, breathlessly.

He chuckles, looking down. "I'm sorry. Was that intense? I didn't mean for it to be that intense." he apologizes, looking back up at me.

I smile a little, shaking my head. "It was...good. Better than it ever was when we were together, if I'm being completely honest."

"That wasn't just me?!" he asks, laughing, and I shake my head. "I knew it was better."

I laugh. "Yeah, it was better."

"Still, I'm sorry for that. It came out of nowhere. I've just been dying to kiss you since I saw you that day." he shrugs.

I shake my head. "No, it's fine." we sit in awkward silence for a few more seconds before I break the silence. "I really don't know what to say, Danny. Getting back together would have to be something I really thought about."

"No, yeah, I get it." he nods. "I know we've been broken up for a while, and it's really random to bring up dating again. Maybe we could start off with just one date?" he offers nervously.

I stare blankly at the wall in front of us for a few seconds before turning to look at him again. He really is a super sweet guy. Maybe he's exactly what I need to get Juan completely out of my head. And heart. "Yeah. Yeah, we should go on a date. See how that goes then go on from there."

"Yeah, okay. How much longer are you in town for?" he asks, smiling.

"A little over a week."

He nods. "Okay, I'll call you to set up a date tomorrow?"

"Yeah, sure." I nod, smiling.

***

"You guys made out?!" Sofia asks me with wide eyes the next day as I drive her over to Danny's place to pick up her car.

I nod, looking over at her for a split second before turning my attention back onto the road. "Yeah.."

"I cant believe it."

"Neither can I." I shake my head. "It was really weird at first, but that only lasted for a second. Sofia, the kiss was really good." I admit quietly.

"Seriously?" she asks, obviously still in disbelief.

I nod. "Yeah, like there was so much more chemistry there than when we were actually dating. We both agreed on that."

"So, you're going on a date with him when exactly?"

I shrug. "I'm not sure. He told me he was gonna call me today for us to figure out a day to do it."

"I'm too hungover for this." she says, shaking her head.

I laugh a little at that, rolling my eyes. "I feel kinda bad though." I say, looking over at her.

She scrunches up her eyebrows in confusion. "Why?"

"I said yes because I figured he might help me get over Juan. Is that messed up?"

"No..?" she says, unsure. "I don't think so. I mean, if that's the only reason you're doing it, then yes."

I shake my head. "No, its not the only reason. He's a great guy, maybe giving us a try again wouldn't be the worst idea ever." I shrug.

"Exactly. I mean, you guys were cute together. Maybe this time around things will work out a lot better." she nods. "And things would just be so much less complicated with him, Camila. You said it yourself, you cant trust Juan! You have no reason not to trust Danny. He's a good guy who has never lied to you. This could be a fresh do-over for you guys."

I smile a little, feeling as if I've just taken a deep breath of fresh air. "Yeah, you're right. I need to start moving on, and Danny is the perfect step towards that." I nod.

"Exactly."

I nod again. "Exactly, yeah. And I mean, we're starting off with just one date. Nobody says it has to go past that, you know? If things don't work out again, its fine. At least I'll know I'm ready to start dating other people again."

"Exactly."

"Exactly." I nod confidently, feeling better and better about my decision to go out on a date with Danny with each passing second.