Thirty-Five

"I have to go Juan." I say standing up, brushing off any feelings I have towards him for now. I need to focus on my Dad. I need to go home.

"Y-Yeah, okay. I completely get it. I'll tell Fernando what happened. I mean—" he draws in a sharp breath. "I don't know how he'll react or if he'll let you keep your jo—"

I throw my suitcase on the bed, causing him to stop abruptly. "I don't care about the job, Juan. All I care about right now is my Dad. Besides, maybe this is for the best." I cross my arms over my chest. "Working with you probably isn't the best idea anymore."

His eyes widen. "What?! Why?"

"Juan, can we please not get into this right now?" I sigh, beginning to pile some clothes up.

"Why is it a bad idea for us to keep working together?" he insists sternly.

I sag my shoulders, shaking my head. "I am not having this conversation with you right now. Have some respect." I scoff. "My Father could be dying right now for all I know and all you care about is why I'm upset with you?" I ask, keeping a low and steady voice.

He visibly backs down a bit. "You're right. I'm sorry." he scratches the back of his neck, obviously embarrassed that I called him out.

I roll my eyes, before going back to packing. "Uh-huh. Just tell Fernando that I'm sorry, a family emergency came up and that I completely understand if he wants to fire me. I don't know when I'll be back." my eyes never leave the task at hand. Folding my clothes.

"O-Okay. Well...I guess I'll see you when you come back?" he asks slowly.

Still not taking my eyes off of my clothes, I nod. "Mmhm."

When he sees that I'm clearly not going to give him any more attention, I hear him begin to walk towards the door. Once the door finally shuts, I let out a shaky breath, practically collapsing onto the bed. "Fuck." my Dad has to be okay.

***

Shutting the door to my car, I quickly make my way into the hospital. I had just landed, not even bothering to take my bags home before coming to the hospital. The second I enter the hospital my heart feels heavy. The entire way here I prayed to god that my Dad would be okay. I still hadn't been told what his condition was.

After a moment of looking around I see Cesar. He told me to meet him down here so he could take me up to the room our Dad was in. Hot tears begin to stream down my face the second our eyes meet. Fuck. He frowns, walking over to me with open arms. I gladly go into his embrace. I'm immediately shaking in his arms. "I-Is he okay?" my voice comes out muffled from Cesar's chest.

I feel him nod. "He will be."

I immediately, look up at him. "Really?" my lip quivers. "He's gonna be okay?" I ask through a runny nose and teary eyes.

He nods. "Yeah, I mean, it's Dad. He's gonna be fine."

I stick both of my hands in my back pockets, nodding. "Yeah. Yeah, you're right."

Once we're on the floor my Dad is on, I turn to Cesar. "I'm just gonna go to the bathroom really quick. To freshen up. I literally just got off the plane."

He nods. "Yeah, okay. He's in the last room on the right."

"C-Can you wait for me?" I ask quietly.

Smiling sadly, he nods again. "Sure."

I stand in front of the mirror, wiping away my tears. God, I look a mess. My eyes are puffy, my face stained from both fresh and dry tears. I look like a tomato. I wash my face, quickly making my way back out.

"You ready?" asks Cesar.

I nod, letting him lead the way. The second I see my Dad I run over to his side. "Dad!" I crush him in a hug, not realizing until a second later that I've hurt him. I immediately let him go. "Fuck, sorry!" I apologize frantically.

He simply shakes his head, smiling weakly. "You're fine."

Cesar brings up a chair for me to sit on. I take my Dads hand in mine. "Ay, Papi. You had me so worried." I say through a shaky voice, already feeling tears well up within me.

"Why? Since when have you known your Papi to be weak?" he asks, chuckling lightly, the pain is clear in his voice though.

I laugh, wiping away a few stray tears that fall. "I guess you're right. Dad, what happened?" I ask, wiping the smile off of my face. I'm assuming he has a broken neck from the brace that he has on. Who knows what other damage he has.

"Just some idiot who was texting and driving. That's not important, all that matters is that I'm here now. I'm fine." he smiles.

I turn to see Cesar up against the wall, looking down. I clear my throat, nodding. Yeah. I'm gonna take this opportunity. "Exactly. That's why you and Cesar need to sort out whatever tension you guys have."

Cesar chokes uncomfortably. "There's not tension."

"Yeah, no tension."

"Dad, you could've died. Don't you want to know that the day you do die, you and your only son are on good terms? That you speak on a regular basis? That you guys had a normal father son relationship?" I ask, looking between the two grown men who refuse to even make eye contact with the other.

I stand, giving my Dad a kiss on the cheek before turning on my heel to face cesar. "Where are Mom and Jackie?" I ask.

"They went down to the cafeteria to grab something to eat." he mumbles, looking away from me.

I get up closer in his face. "Talk to him. Tell him how you feel." I say quietly before exiting the room.