Thrirty-Seven

I'm in the middle of blow drying my hair when I hear somebody knock on my door. If it weren't for the fact that I have my blow dryer on the lowest setting, I probably wouldn't have heard the knock. I quickly turn it off and make my way to the door while combing my fingers through my still damp hair.

I unlock the door and open it the slightest bit, just enough for me to be able to see who's outside but not for them to be able to see me. My heart drops, my mouth goes dry, and my eyes widen. "What are you doing here?" I ask, trying to keep my voice steady. I open the door completely now.

"Cami, hey. I was in LA and I was just—I just—" he sighs. "I just miss you. I wanted to see what you were up to."

"Juan, I don't think it's the best idea for you to be here right now." I say, shaking my head.

"Can I please just come in?"

I sigh, opening the door for him. "I guess."

We're sitting next to each other on my couch silently for what feels like forever. The only sound that can be heard is from the fan in my room. I'm sitting completely forward, probably in the best posture of my life while chewing on my bottom lip, bouncing my leg up and down slowly. Juan is sitting with his whole body facing me. I can feel his eyes on me but don't even care enough to look up at him.

"Cami." he places his hand on top of my exposed thigh. My leg immediately drops. "Nothing happened between me and that girl." he says lowly.

I don't stop chewing on my bottom lip, I don't stop staring into space. All I say is a simple, "Okay." and continue bouncing my leg up and down hard enough for his hand to fall off of my leg.

"Camila." his sternness makes me look up. I gulp nervously at the way his eyes examine every feature of my face that I know is stone cold right now. He looks just as handsome as he did three weeks ago. I hate that. His beautiful brown eyes stare intensely into mine, his full lips form into a frown of frustration and distaste, his thick eyebrows furrowed together in frustration also. "Why are you acting this way? You said you didn't care, that I didn't owe you an explanation."

I nod. "I know. I did say that, so why are you here giving me an explanation?" I challenge, glaring at him.

He shrugs. "I'm not sure." he sighs, running his hands through his dark locks. "Look, just know that I didn't sleep with her."

I nod. "Okay."

He groans loudly. "Why are you being so fucking difficult?! I like you! I think i've made it clear." he rolls his eyes.

The sound of my beating heart becomes louder and louder. "I—I—okay." is all I can get out.

He leans in for a kiss but I quickly stand up before his lips can reach mine. "No." I shake my head. "You 'liking' me doesn't change the fact that you just moved on to the next girl right after me!"

"I didn't! Okay, just listen." he clears his throat while I wait for him to continue. "Yes, I had a girl in there but I didn't sleep with her. I brought her in with every intention to sleep with her but I just couldn't. I thought that maybe it would help me get over you. I—I just kept comparing every little thing about her to you." he sighs, running his hands over his face. "That's all I can seem to do nowadays." he says lowly more to himself then to me I think. "She was already getting ready to leave when you came to knock on my door. I swear."

I want to believe him. I actually think I do believe him but the possibility of me being lied to just isn't worth it to me anymore. "Im sure you're telling the truth. But that still doesn't change the fact that we can't be anything more then friends who work with each other." I shake my head.

"Why not?"

"Because, Juan it's just...we just—" I sigh in frustration. "I can't trust you. Juan, I mean this in the nicest way possible but you're a player. And I'm done being played with." I shake my head, already feeling myself begin to spiral. "I already had enough of that in my last relationship, okay? I-I was cheated on god knows how many times in a few short months while I gave my all to him. I'm just done being made a fool out of. A-And you—you're just going to end up hurting me just like he did. I know it. You just go through girls as if it's some all you can eat buffet! And I'm done being one of those girls for you too." I'm a shaking mess by the time I'm done with my rant.

He quickly stands in front of me, taking my face in his large hands. "Ay, mi amor." his endearing words make my heart flutter no matter how hard I try to ignore it. "Everything you said about me is who I used to be before meeting you. I can't even look at another woman without comparing her to you." he caresses my cheek with his large soft hand. "She either doesn't have these same soft cheeks," he runs his thumb over my bottom lip. "she doesn't have your full lips, she doesn't have your beautiful eyes." His voice becomes gradually lower and lower with each word. My breathing becomes heavy, my heart feels like it's about to come out of my chest.

He leans in close enough that I can feel his warm breath fanning my face. My eyes flutter shut while I wait for his next move.