Thirty

"What was all that about?" Danny asks as we walk back into my apartment.

I shrug. "It was awkward being there with somebody I work with. Besides, those two," I point at Vanessa and Sofia who are raiding my fridge for more alcohol. "were getting out of hand."

He chuckles. "Yeah, I guess. He seemed nice." he says sarcastically.

I laugh. "Yeah, I don't know what was wrong with him."

"Is he usually that rude?" he asks.

I shake my head. "No! He's usually pretty chill."

"So, how have you been?" he asks after we've taken a seat at my kitchen island. Vanessa and Sofia are too busy looking for shot glasses to even care about the conversation Danny and I are having.

I nod. "Good. I've been good." Danny and I have been friends since middle school. He's one of my closest friends. Things got kind of weird for a while between us because about two years ago, him and I tried to be more then friends. We dated for about two or three months but it just never clicked. Our kisses never had a spark, it always felt too awkward to go past that, so we never did. The whole thing was just awkward. So, we decided that we were better as friends. Which kind of sucked because Danny is such a nice guy. He practically screams 'Boyfriend material!' He's sweet, caring, and not to mention extremely good looking. I guess something was just missing there. Anyway, I think we're almost back to our old selves again. "How about you?"

"I've been good too." he opens his mouth to say something but gets interrupted by Vanessa.

"Can you two party poopers come and take some shots with us?"

I laugh, looking over at him and then back at them. "Eh, why not?"

***

"Look at the three of us. Reunited again." Jackie says, going on up on her toes, wrapping an arm around both Cesar and I.

Cesar chuckles, taking Jackie's arm off of him. "We can be reunited and still have personal space, Jackie." Cesar was never a big fan of being super affectionate to show his love towards you. Jackie and I were the complete opposite. In fact, we loved giving Cesar hugs and kisses on the cheeks because we knew how uncomfortable they made him. He hugged me when he saw me the other day but that was only because we hadn't seen each other in a pretty long time.

"Fineee." she says, rolling her eyes. She nudges me with her elbow. "You. Why are you late? I highly doubt it's because you were busy getting dolled up."

My jaw drops. "Hey! I had a bit too much to drink last night once we got back to my place. I'm trying my best here!" she was right though. I didn't look my best. I had on a set that I would usually work out in and a pair of sunglasses for this massive headache I was rocking.

"So that's why you were late

"So that's why you were late." says Cesar, nodding. "You were getting over a hangover."

I shrug, walking into Cesar's kitchen to see what he has to eat. It was six and I hadn't eaten all day in hopes that Cesar would have something good to eat tonight. I was right. He had pizza. "I guess." I walk back out to his dining area with the whole box in one hand.

Cesar groans. "Do you have to bring the entire box with you?"

I nod, taking a seat in front of him and Jackie, already taking a big bite out of a slice. "Uh-huh." Cesar was a complete clean freak which explains why it bothers him that I decided to put a greasy pizza box on top of his dinner table.

"You disgust me." is all he says, shaking his head in disapproval.

I laugh, wiping the corners of my mouth with a napkin. "Yeah well your cleanliness disgusts me."

He rolls his eyes. "How?!"

"Children, control yourselves. We didn't come to argue." says Jackie.

"Shut up." Cesar and I both say in unison.

"You're the youngest one out of all three of us." Cesar points out.

"Yeah." I nod in agreement.

"Ugh, whatever." she sighs, sitting back in her seat.

Jackie hated always being looked at as the 'baby' of the family. It was kind of hard to not look at her that way sometimes. Especially for Cesar considering he was almost ten years older then her. Jackie looked nothing like Cesar and I. She had light brown hair—nothing like Cesar and I's dark hair. She had chocolate brown eyes—also nothing like Cesar and I's. She took after our beautiful mother. Cesar and I looked more like our Dad. Most people would probably never guess that all three of us were siblings.

"So, when do you leave, Camila?" asks Jackie.

"Day after tomorrow." I say, trying to chew my pizza quickly. "Oh!" looking over at Cesar I nod. "I'm calling Dad tomorrow. I will get him to understand that the way he treats you is unfair."

Both Cesar and Jackie's eyes widen. "What?!" he says, shaking his head. "No. Camila, seriously, do not do that." he says in a warning tone.

I pout. "But why?!"

"I agree with him." Jackie says nodding. "You're just gonna get on Dads bad side."

I shrug, looking down at my slice of Pizza, picking a piece of pepperoni off of it and plopping it into my mouth. "It's still worth a shot." I perk up in my seat. "Come on, Cesar! If I got through to him, this could mean you guys would actually have a normal relationship! Don't you want that?" batting my eyes lashes at him, I smile.

"Yes, I would love that. But you can't just make a man as stubborn as Dad change his mind on something easily." he shrugs. "Besides, I'd rather him come to me on his own, not because you went and talked to him."

I groan. "Fine." we're silent for a few more seconds before I speak up again. "But you do know that he's probably never going to change his mind on this topic unless you or somebody else talks to him, right?"

He nods, his lips forming a tight line as he taps his fingers on the table. "Yeah, I know. And I've come to terms with that."

I frown. "Can you please at least let me try? I'll tell him this was my idea—that you didn't have anything to do with me going to talk to him." I give him a pleading look.

He sighs, running his hands over his face. "Fine. Please try not to leave things worse then they already are." he says, shaking his head almost as if he's in disbelief that he just agreed to letting me do this.

I nod excitedly. "Okay." when I look over at Jackie, she's just silently shaking her head, not agreeing on me doing this whatsoever.

This is who I picture Jackie looking like

(Isabela Moner)