Sixty-Seven

"Hey, Danny..." I trail off awkwardly once Sofia has gotten into her car and driven off and I've done the same.

"Camila! Hey."

I clear my throat. "Uh, I just wanted to let you know that I dropped off Sofia to pick up her car."

"Oh, okay. Yeah, that's fine. But now that I have you on the phone," he chuckles. "when are you free?" he asks.

I shrug. "Honestly any day works for me. I don't have many plans for the rest of my time here."

"How about tomorrow night then? I can take you out for dinner or something." he offers.

I nod. "Yeah, sure. Tomorrow sounds perfect." I smile.

"Great. I'll pick you up at around seven? How's that sound?"

"Perfect. I'll be ready by then."

***

"I'm freaking out!" I whine to Sofia the next day over facetime as I begin to get ready.

She frowns. "Why?"

"Was this a mistake? Should we not be doing this?" I ask anxiously.

She rolls her eyes, shaking her head. "You're just getting the normal nerves everyone gets before a date. You're gonna be fine."

"Are you sure?"

She nods. "Yes, you'll be fine. Is he already on his way to your house?"

"Yes." I nod. "He should be here any minute." I say nervously.

She smiles. "This is gonna do you a lot of good, Camila. It's gonna be fine. It's just one date."

I nod again, feeling a bit better. "Yeah, okay. Yeah, yeah, you're right. I'll be fine." I feel my heart jump out of my chest when I hear a knock at the door. "Oh my god, he's here." I whisper-yell.

She laughs. "I'll talk to you later. Have fun. Dont overthink anything." she says, shaking her head with a smile.

I nod, hanging up. I walk over to the door and open it slowly. "Hey." I smile when I see Danny.

"Hi." he returns the friendly smile, keeping his hands in his pockets.

I look back into my apartment. "Let me just grab my purse and we can go." he nods as I shut the door slowly, running over to my couch that has my purse on it. I grab it and walk back to the front door opening it to see him again, patiently waiting. "Alright, let's go." I smile.

***

"I was really nervous about tonight." Danny chuckles as we're seated in a booth.

I laugh, nodding. "So was I."

"Yeah? Okay, glad to know I'm not the only one." he smiles.

"So you really haven't had a girlfriend since...us?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "Not a real girlfriend. Just things here and there. What about you? Well, since Nathan, of course." he laughs.

"I..." nodding slowly, I decide to be honest. "I dated a guy for a few months. We were official for not even a month before it got ruined though." I sigh.

He furrows his eyebrows. "Really? Where did you meet him? You've been on tour for the longest time."

"We just kinda crossed each other's paths." I shrug. Telling him I'm talking about Juan is pointless, and I would really just rather not talk about this for much longer anyway.

He nods. "Oh okay. Well I'm sorry it didn't work out."

"No you're not." I joke, shaking my head.

He laughs loudly. "Okay, maybe you're right. We wouldn't be here if it had worked out."

"Exactly."

"But I am sorry for any pain that guy may have caused you." he frowns.

I nod, giving him a small smile. "I know. Thanks for that. I appreciate it."

"No problem." he smiles.

***

"I had a really great time, Danny." I nod, smiling as we pull up to my building.

He returns the smile quickly. "I did too. Maybe we could catch a movie before you leave." he shrugs.

"Maybe." I nod slowly. "I leave in a few days, we could probably squeeze it in somewhere."

"Great." he chuckles. "Does this mean...we're going somewhere?" he asks. "You and I."

I stare at him for a few moments before nodding slowly. "Maybe. It's possible. I don't want to think too much into that right now though." I shrug. "I just want to live in the moment. If that's okay with you."

"No, yeah, of course." he nods quickly. "We don't have to put a label on anything yet."

I let out a nervous laugh. "Thanks. I just don't want to rush things right now."

"I get that." he nods again. "Would kissing you right now be rushing things?" he asks, his eyes flickering from my lips back to my eyes.

I smile, shaking my head. "Not at all."

"Good." he smiles, moving in closer to me, letting his lips touch mine gently.

For a split second Juan's face flashes through my head, and as soon as Danny places his hand on the nape of my neck, deepening the kiss, it's gone. Like a quick flash of lightning.