Chapter 49: The Uraraka family

"Sorry dad we were just talking about a really sensitive topic it got a little emotional. I'm sure mom could tell you everything later right mom?" Uraraka asked looking to her mother for support. She'd seen the look on Deku's face and he did not look ok to talk about his kidnapping again.

"Yes of course I'll tell you about it later dear" she replied taking the hint.

"Ah I see. You sure you're all ok?" he asked.

"Yeah dad we're fine. Anyway Deku this is my dad" she said turning back to Deku and giving him a small nudge to snap him out of his own head.

"Nice to meet you sir. I'm Izuku Midoriya" Deku said standing up to bow.

"Nice to meet you too young man. I hope you're keeping my daughter in check" he teased causing Uraraka to blush again being embarrassed by her parents. Deku chuckled a little.

"Actually she's usually the one digging me out most of the time" Deku admitted. He felt a little guilty too. Over the last few months she'd been so helpful and supportive and done so much for him and talked about everything that was on his mind he felt like he hadn't really made any time to talk about her problems. If she had any that is she seemed perfectly fine but Deku knew all too well that just because somebody seems fine doesn't mean they are.

"Really? The number 1 student at UA needs my daughter to save him? I'm impressed" he said smiling at his daughter.

He's being so nice to Deku. I thought he already didn't like him before they'd even met. Did mom talk to him? Or is he just putting on an act so he doesn't cause a scene or upset me?

"Yeah it's a little embarrassing to admit but in all seriousness Ochako is an amazing hero and friend. I don't know where I'd be without her. I definitely wouldn't be UA's top student that's for sure" Deku admitted. It was true without her he might never have recovered from his kidnapping.

"Well that's good to know. Maybe one day she'll take your spot as top student" he joked chuckling a little.

"Maybe one day but for now I have to bear that burden" Deku said his expression getting a little disheartened.

"Burden? You're the best of the best. All that media attention too. I bet everybody is nice to you. Gives you free stuff. If you were an actual pro you'd be rolling in the money at this point" he said to the small boy but what Deku didn't know is he was being tested to see how he responded. However his answer was perfect.

"Sure and that's great and all but I never wanted to be a hero for fame or money. I still don't it's weird being recognised by everyone. I just want to help people and be the world's number 1 hero someday" Deku said smiling with determination and the much larger man before him.

"Well...I'd say you're well on your way to earning that title someday. We saw your training footage and the fight against the big three. It was very impressive stuff. Ochako told us that was only a small percentage of your power too. Who knows what you'll be capable of when you can use all of it" he said encouraging the small boy. He wouldn't admit it yet but he actually quite liked the kid he seemed like a decent guy. Then he remembered the image of him making out with his daughter on TV and was reminded of all that resentment he felt.

"Thank you sir" Deku replied smiling at him.

"So dad how was work?" Uraraka asked.

"We'll talk about that later. Why don't you help your mother prepare dinner?" he replied smiling at her. Although Uraraka saw right through him.

He's just trying to get Deku on his own so he can scare him off or something. I can't let him I have to stay with Deku. Who knows what he might say to him.