Chapter 95: First real fight

Ochako...how could you? Are you going to break up with me? I can't believe you actually thought she had a good point. I get that it's difficult having a relationship when you're both heroes but we knew that already we knew what we signed up for.

"Oh hey you're awake" Uraraka said coming through the door with a bag in one hand.

"Hey" Deku said bluntly and coldly catching her off guard.

What's up with him?

"Hey I got you some- oh my god Deku have you been crying? Your bandages are soaked" she said now worried and concerned dropping the plastic bag on the floor and rushing to the side of his bed.

"I'm fine" he scoffed refusing to even look at her.

Seriously what's gotten into him? He seems mad about something.

"Deku what's wrong?" she asked concerned. She reached out to try and hold his hand but he pulled it away. Uraraka's heart broke a little as she instantly realised he was mad at her and Deku immediately felt guilty about his actions but he remained angry with her.

Why is he angry with me? What did I do? I don't understand.

"So did you come back to break up with me?" Deku asked not really thinking about what he was saying and regretting being so blunt but he stuck to his guns. He wasn't going to let this go just yet even though he was regretting every second of it knowing this was hurting her but he'd convinced himself this was necessary.

"W-what? No! Why would I..." Uraraka trailed off as the tears began to fall down her face and she realised why he was acting this way.

"You were awake earlier. Weren't you?" she asked as her chest suddenly felt heavy and tight making her feel like she was struggling to breathe.

"Yeah. I heard everything" Deku said still making sure he didn't look at her. He knew if he did he'd cave in but as far as he knew she was going to break up with him to avoid the pain of seeing him hurt all the time.

"Why didn't you say anything? Would you please look at me? You're breaking my goddamn heart right now Deku" she begged through her tears but he didn't budge beginning to tear up himself now.

"So are you going to do it or not?" he asked still certain that it was going to happen.

"No! You idiot Deku of course I'm not! I love you!" she exclaimed breaking down and sobbing almost falling to her knees but managing to steel her nerves and remain standing.

"Then why did you say and I quote 'maybe she has a point' after she'd left?" Deku asked hiding his own pain and tears for treating her this way.

Why am I still doing this? This isn't me why am I choosing to hurt Ochako this way? Every fiber of my being is screaming at me to stop and apologise to her but for some reason I'm carrying on. There's this part of me that has to know. That needs this explanation. For what reason? She loves me and that's all I need to know so why am I continuing this?

"Because she got into my head a little. It didn't help seeing you wrapped up in all these bandages knowing you ended up like this by saving me and I only needed saving because I got carried away which almost cost us the battle. It's my fault we both ended up here so when she said we should break up so I can avoid the pain of seeing you hurt like this part of me couldn't help but consider it. Especially when she mentioned how it would make Eri feel seeing us like this that girl has lost enough. But the thing is Deku I dismissed the thought in an instant. I love you. That's all I need to know. All I need is you. Do you remember when you said that to me? That all you needed was me? It meant everything to me. It still does I'll never forget the image of you plugged into all those machines barely alive but still managing to bring yourself to consciousness just because you heard my voice. If that's not love then I don't know what is Deku. I could name countless other examples in the last year or so that mean so much to me and that I'll never forget. But if you seriously thought I was going to break up with you because you overhead me say one thing then you're a goddamn idiot Deku. You clearly didn't listen well enough because I told Recovery Girl that I love you and that I would never leave you. Or did you just choose to miss that part out?" she asked waiting for a response.