Chapter 79: A dream?

"Where am I?" Deku asked himself as he awoke on...a beach?

Wait a minute I recognise this place. This is the beach All Might made me clean up. Where we used to train and meet up sometimes when he needed to talk to me. But...why am I here?

"Hey kid" a voice called from further down the beach. Deku turned towards it certain it was who he thought it was.

"All Might!" he exclaimed climbing to his feet and sprinting towards his mentor with tears in his eyes.

"All Might! It's you it's really you!" Deku screamed through tears as he embraced the former Symbol of Peace.

"It's good to see you too young Midoriya" All Might said returning his embrace.

"Wait a minute. If you're here and I'm here with you then does that mean... I'm dead?" Deku questioned.

"What!? You better not be young man! You couldn't survive one week without me!? I expected more of you!" All Might scolded him.

"You mean you don't know!?" Deku asked. He was hoping that All Might would have some answers or at least be able to explain what was happening not make him even more confused. However All Might just burst into laughter.

"What? What's so funny?" Deku asked.

"You should've seen the look on your face! It was priceless!" All Might exclaimed unable to control his laughter.

So...he was joking? He was joking that I might be dead? That's not funny.

"So...I'm not dead?" Deku asked still a little unsure.

"No I don't think you're dead just yet. Although I'm pretty sure you're unconscious at the bare minimum. Maybe in shock? I don't know kid I'm just enjoying the afterlife. You could be dying right now in the real world. So the choice is yours. Stay or go back and fight on" All Might said sitting down on the sand and watching the waves.

"All Might I'm not sure I can win this one. This Nomu is huge it's much bigger than the one you fought and it just wiped the floor with me even at 25% of my power. If I fail Ochako dies. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad. She could join us in the afterlife" Deku said considering the option of giving up and allowing he and Uraraka to be reunited in death.

"Sounds a little selfish to me. Let somebody die just so you can be together forever in death and leave the world to rot. That doesn't sound like the young man I gave my power to. You're not even considering how Uraraka or anybody else feels about it. Does she want to die? Is she ok with you being dead in the first place? How would her parents feel? How would your mother feel?" All Might lectured the boy.

"Yeah I know I know I don't want that for any of them of course I don't. I was just saying it'd be a nice to have a break you know. It feels like we're just always struggling to get by" Deku said sitting down beside his mentor in the sand. All Might studied the small boy for a second. He was on the end of his rope and he could see that he needed to give him one last small push.

"Yeah I understand kid. I felt the same way many times. Everyone does it's a part of life. But look all that matters is that you remain true to yourself and the people around you that you care about. Now is accepting death and staying here being true to yourself and what you believe young Midoriya?" All Might asked. Deku was a little taken aback by the question.

No of course not I want to save Ochako. I'd never leave her behind. I'd never give up. But if that's the case what am I still doing here? Why am I not awake and fighting? Then again it would be nice to stay here and talk to All Might a little longer. I'll probably never see him again. This is the last chance I'll ever get to see him.