Chapter 6

Claire

"And what was it like? He's perfect, isn't he?" Sara was at my door the next morning with Robin. They wanted to know all about my date with Silas. It was indeed perfect. He was so sweet, understanding in terms of my pregnancy, funny, interesting and not to mention incredibly handsome! He looked really good.

"Claire?" "Hmm... yes?" "You were daydreaming. Was it that good?"

"It was perfect. We were laughing and kept talking. There was never an awkward silence. And the best thing about all is that he is so understanding in terms of my pregnancy."

"That's good, right?" "Yes, sure. I just think, if it gets more serious between us, he'll think otherwise. Now he sees me as a friend and my child will just be a kid for him. If we started a relationship, my child is also a kind of "his" child." Who wants to be with a pregnant woman and the child isn't even yours?

"Well, if you think or hope you're going to start a relationship, you'll have to talk about that anyway before you start a relationship. It is not nothing." "I'll see him again on Saturday, I'll see if I want to talk about it. Maybe he just thinks we're going to be and stay good friends." I hope he doesn't think that way. "You just need distractions, we can go to a baby shop. And then see what you need. Says Robin happy

Together with mom, Sara and Robin I am in the store looking for furniture for the nursery. I see so many things, I really can't choose. "What about this little room?" We stand in front of a room that is used as a model in the store. It's perfect. The bed is white and simple, the commode is the same. There's a seat there, too. "This is perfect." "Well then we take this" My mom immediately goes to an employee and points to the room.

I can already see myself in the seat with my son on my lap. I'm really looking forward to it. He's not going to fall short. I'll do anything for him. He hasn't been born yet, and I love him so much. And a few months ago, I was still panicking and I thought my future was ruined. Now I can't think of anything else about that little one in my belly.

When we have everything for the room, we return home as soon as possible. I want to decorate the room so badly. While I'm still allowed to work. When we finally get home, we put all the furniture together and give everything a place. I'm pretty proud of his room.

"Do you actually have a name?" asks Robin as we sit in the dining room and eat the cake we baked together. Mom herself went to work, she had only the morning off.

"I do have a few ideas; Wolf, Leon, Louis and Victor. But for some reason, none of those names feel right. I do not know. It's so hard to find the right one. Do you have any ideas?"

"I think Jules is a nice name." says Sara and Robin says, "I like Casper."

"Yes, maybe I don't know. Are we going to watch a movie differently? I start to stress differently because of those names." We all three go to the seat and put on the TV. Just at that moment, the movie "Merlin the Wizard" begins.

"Merlin!" Sara suddenly shouts. "What's with it?! Have you never seen the movie before, maybe?" asks Robin with big eyes "No, of course I've seen the movie. I mean as a name. How blissful is that. Merlin as a name." I don't think that's bad yet. Merlin Jones.

"OMG, yes, that still sounds good! There are few with this took, so original. And it's really beautiful. PERFECT!" I stand up, start jumping and walking around with joy. "I have a name. Actually, my son has a name, but it doesn't matter right now,' I estimate. "Thank you Sara." I start kissing and hugging them everywhere. We all start laughing. "Hahaha gladly done, Claire."

See so we have a name. Merlin.

The next day I'm not on until noon. Sara and Robin weren't gone until 3:00. When I go to the kitchen, I see my uncle standing on the kitchen island. He lives in Brooklyn because his work is there. So many times a year he comes to the Netherlands to visit us all. He works at Uhuru Design. They make furniture. It's always been my dream to work there, too. I love what they make. It's so beautiful.

"Uncle Sam!" I walk straight into his arms. "What are you doing here? I didn't know you were coming. Does Mom know you're here?" "Emily didn't know either. It was a surprise. I just saw them, but she just left for work. How are you? What about the baby? I was kind of shot down when Emily told me. I thought she was joking, and now I see you like that." "I know. I didn't want everyone to know, but almost everyone from school, the neighbourhood and almost everyone in the family already knows. It's apparently hard to keep it hidden, and it won't be better I guess." "Haha indeed. But you shouldn't hide it. It's something to be proud of, isn't it?

"Yes, but still." We make dinner together and end up sitting at the dinner table.

"What's going to do now with your studies?" "Well, I'm probably going to wait for everything to be fine." "What about the child? How are you going to make sure?" "Well, mom and friends help me, but I also know they won't always be there. I plan to find work after the baby's here. Preferably in a furniture store, but I won't have that much chance." "Well, maybe I have something for you." "What do you mean?" "Well, I'm looking for an assistant, you have to do the same thing I do; keep the showroom clean, help customers, create a warm, inviting atmosphere, give advice, record phones and other little things. The problem is, you have to move to Brooklyn."

Do I want that? It would be a great opportunity to work there. It would help to eventually design yourself. And then there's Uhuru Design. I only get one of those chances. But I can't just leave. I can't leave my mother, grandma and all my friends behind. "I'll think about it." "Okay, but not too long, my boss wants to know who I'm going to take as an assistant by the end of this month. So you have two weeks left." "Okay" I want to go so badly, but is it forever? Will I live there like Sam, living there? Shit, what am I supposed to do?

The rest of the day we talk about pregnancy and how it goes in Brooklyn. By 6 p.m., Mom's going to be home and she'll start eating. After dinner I still watch TV, but I end up going to my room. Today was pretty tiring. Suddenly I have a message, it's Silas.

S: Hey Claire, it's Silas

C: Hey Silas

S: Is everything going on for Saturday?

C: Yes, if you can of course

S: Yes, I can definitely. How's it still going? 

C: It's going great. The nursery's finished, and I have a name.

S: Really? Super and what's the name?

C: Merlin

S: Haha blissful, really original!

C: Haha, I know. We suddenly saw the movie on TV and voila, my child has a name.

S: I'm happy for you. 

S: Who's going to pick who up?

C: Can you pick me up?

S: Okay, at 2pm? Then I can also see the room :)

C: 14 pm is good and you can indeed  :D

S: Until then!

C: Until Saturday. Sleep though. X

S: Sleep though. Xxx