Chapter 33

Claire

Today is Merlin's second birthday. I still can't believe Merlin's been two years old. It looks like it's only yesterday that I was in the hospital and he was lying next to me in his cot.

A lot has changed in those two years; Harry knows he's the father, Merlin can walk and say a few words, I've met the man of my dreams, he's my boyfriend now, I live in Brooklyn, I've got a job and I'm studying for my dream job. It was a difficult start with all the media attention, but now everything is coming to its feet. And it's not over yet. When the course is complete, I can design furniture.

Many people find it strange that that's my dream, designing furniture. I'm just very interested in the interior and especially furniture. I used to draw furniture a lot and I made them in the cardboard. I remember Uncle Sam had one of my furniture made. It's kind of a chair floating. I sold it later because I needed money to go on vacation. If I go on holiday without my mother, I'd rather pay for it myself. She can't resist putting the same amount in my savings account behind my back.

"I hope Harry will like his present," Silas says as he is driving to Harry's apartment, where Merlin's birthday party takes place.

Merlin is already there; he's been sleeping there and will stay there for two more nights because he hasn't seen Harry in four weeks. Harry is on a promotion for his album. He's got two weeks off now. His family has come here, too, and only Louis will be there. He'll probably have Freddie with him. Lately, we've become really good friends. Silas and he also go to watch the football a lot. It's like he took over the role of Niall, but better. At least Louis's a good match with Silas. I haven't seen Niall since I know a lot, but I don't mind. Ever since he's been so rude to Silas, we're not good friends anymore. I still care about him, it's stronger than myself. I don't know why. Liam's busy, too, but he lets you know from time to time.

"I hope so, but I think so," I say. We have a gift for Harry's birthday, but the gift wasn't ready then. We then decided to give it to Merlin's birthday, because Merlin has something to do with it, too.

So, at the party, Harry's mother, his stepfather, his sister, my mother, Uncle Sam, Louis, and probably Freddie, and Alex will be there.

"We're here," Silas says.

We get out and go to his apartment. When we're at his door, we knock on the door. Immediately Harry opens and has Merlin in his arms. When Merlin sees me, he starts clapping and yells, "Mama!". His arms go to me as a sign that he wants me to wear it.

"He prefers me," I say to Harry giggling as I take over Merlin.

"Ha, in your dreams!" he says with a smile as he opens the door further as a sign that we can come in. He gives us a hug each.

Soon we all sit at the table and give the presents to Merlin. He has more fun tearing open the gifts than the gifts themselves. We gave him a game. After everyone gives them gifts, Silas and I are going to give Harry's gift.

'We still have a gift, but it's not for Merlin. It's for Harry,' I say. Everyone looks at me confusingly, especially Harry.

'It's not my birthday. Why do you have a gift?" he asks.

'The gift wasn't going to be ready on your birthday. We then decided to give you a present on Merlin's birthday. Please,' I say, giving his gift. It's in an envelope.

He opens it quickly and read the papers that are in it. Suddenly his eyes become damp and red. He's about to cry.

"You changed his last name?" He asks just to be safe. A tear rolls down his cheek. Silas and I nod, smiling.