Chapter 44

Claire

"Are you serious, an engagement ring?" asks Robin. I nod.

"How?" You never told us that,' Sara says.

"Well," I begin, "The night I went back home for the first time since the breakup, I saw that everything was gone. On the table, however, saw a note and a box. In it was the engagement ring and on the note,  he said he will always love me,' I say. I can feel a lump coming up in my throat but swallow it away.

"Do you still have the ring?" asks Robin. I'm going to go to my room and go get him.

"He's so beautiful," Sara says. "You need to talk to him, Claire. It's obvious you're not over him yet. You haven't listened to his message yet; you still have his ring and you haven't actually talked to him properly yet. Otherwise, you can never get on with your life,' she continues.

"Silas told us to tell you that he'll be back here in two days for work. Maybe you should talk to him?' suggests Robin. I don't know what to think, he's coming back, but he's coming back for work.

"Hmm, maybe, I'll see. I want to go to sleep now, I'm tired,' I say.

They both nod and we all change in our pajamas and chat a little after that we go to sleep.

The next day I wake up from a short night. I've been thinking about Silas the whole time, and he'll be back here in two days. I need to see him. I missed him. It sounds stupid and desperate, but I really missed him. However, if I told anyone, they would just laugh at me. No one understands me. Silas has always been there for me. Because of him, everything went so smoothly. He was always so good to Merlin. I don't know if it's smart to show Merlin Silas, considering last time.

I get out of bed and take my cell phone. I listen to my voicemail.

"You have one new message," says one woman's voice. "Hi, it's me, Silas," I hear him say. I'm getting a lump in my throat. 'I called because Robin and Sara couldn't reach you. I was worried. I hope everything's okay with you?' I can hear from his voice that he's having a hard time, just like I am now. "God, I don't know what to say. I was wondering if I would speak up, because I know there's a good chance you won't listen to this and that I'm actually talking to myself. There are some things I'd like to say. First of all, I love you and I always will. The same goes for Merlin. I'll always love to see him. There were times when I saw him as my own son. You're so lucky to have him, just like Harry. Just like he's lucky with you. I'm sorry I once thought you and Harry had something, just because of those pictures. I'm especially sorry for what happened to Alex, but I'd rather not talk about it, because I'd like to hit my head against the wall. It was so stupid of me. I should never have let it. It's all my fault, not hers, is my fault. I also know you probably hate me, but I hope you don't, because I hope one day we can just become friends. I miss you, Claire, I miss you." His voice breaks after this sentence. He sighs and sobs. 'I've been so stupid. I had everything. I-I had your e-and Merlin. I was happy because I found my luck, and now everything's gone. I just hope in the depths of my heart that you can ever forgive me. I love you, Claire." Suddenly I hear the beep as a sign that the message is at its end.

"Press one to call the transmitter back," the woman's voice says, and immediately I press one. Meanwhile, I wipe the tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Claire?" I hear Silas say confusedly. I'm swallowing. I don't know what to say. It feels so strange to hear him all of a sudden. I didn't think I was going to call him either, it was a little impulsive.

"Silas," I say sighing. I hear him sighing, too. He sounds relieved.

"Claire," I hear him say in a whisper. "I'm so happy to hear you."