Chapter 34

Niall

It's been a few months since I saw Claire. I miss her. I'm trying to focus on my music, but I can't. She keeps haunting my head. I heard through Louis that she changed Merlin's last name to Jones-Styles. She's so prefect. He also said she's very happy with Silas. Apparently, they've been together for two years. Silas has been having two years to call her his girlfriend. I go on dates to forget her like that, I have sex with them to forget Claire, but I can't resist comparing them to Claire every time. I always come to the conclusion that Claire is better. If I always make a list of my date with her positive and negative sides, the first negative is: she's not Claire. Just like Ross did with Julie and Rachel. Claire is my lobster.

I know, it sounds corny and cliché and blah blah, but I'll never be able to forget her. She's beautiful, that's the first thing that attracted me. She's naturally beautiful, she doesn't bother. She probably doesn't realize how beautiful she is and that makes her so much more beautiful. I think even if she were to out, she'd still be beautiful, but the magic would be gone, you know?

She's so sweet and funny, too. Her insight into life is also so wonderful. I remember when we asked questions to each other to get to know each other better and she had to choose between a hoverboard, or books and she chose books without thinking. She said she hates a hoverboard, but really hates it. She always wants to push people off when she sees them riding a hoverboard like that. But when she thought for a moment, she said she would choose a hoverboard to eventually sell it and so she can buy even more books. That's why I love her.

'NIALL!! DUDE, WHERE ARE YOU THINKING?' shouts Louis.

"Where do you think?"

"Still?" It's been a few months since you saw her. Then why didn't you come to Merlin's party? He asked about you, by the way,' he says.

"If I'd seen her there, I'd have seen Silas, too. I was going to see them together and that's the last thing I want,' I say.

'Look, I get that you have feelings for her, but you have to tell her if you have to get over it. But I feel like you're never going to get over it, so you have to tell her. She has a right to know how you feel about her,' he says.

"And what? She'll break up with Silas, walk in my arms and we'll live happily ever after?' I ask sarcastically.

"No, but at least she'll know," he says.

"There's no point in her knowing," I say sighing.

'Right now, she hates you because you're always being so rude to Silas. You have to imagine that I would be so rude to her, you'd hate me too, wouldn't you?' I say, to which I nod.

'You're right, but I can't say it to her. I don't want to jeopardize our friendship, if anything else remains,' I say.

Silas

I'm finally home after a long day's work. The project I'm working on is coming to an end. Everything went well. I hope I get my raise. My boss did propose to me a new project. It's one in Belgium. He picked me because I'm the only one in Belgium. I don't really want to. It would take at least 6 months. So, I should stay in Belgium for six months. I can go back to Brooklyn for about five a month, but I can't miss Claire that long. I'm going to have to discuss it with her.

When I go inside our apartment, I hear sobbing. I go to the living room from where it comes and see Alex lying in a bun in the sofa. I'll walk up to her right way.

'What's going on?! Everything ok? Are you in pain? I ask worriedly. Would it have to do with last time? At the party?

"Silas?" God, I'm sorry. Everything ok. Um... Merlin's been in his bed for a while, he was pretty tired. He hasn't eaten yet, but his porridge is already in the fridge. I'll go,' she says sobbing. She wipes away all her tears. I see her eyes are blood red and swollen from all the crying. How long would she be crying? She takes her coat and walks to the door, but I'm going to stop her.