Chapter 31

Claire

"Harry?" I say on the phone. I'm on a 10-minute break. I grabbed my cell phone right away and called Harry.

"Claire?" Is there a problem for next weekend?' he asks worriedly.

'No, it's not really. Silas would like to go to Vermont with me. Is that okay for you?""

"Sure. Why would that be a problem for me? I don't have to come,' he asks with a laugh. That would be funny and embarrassing.

"Hihi, no, but I won't be able to help you any time soon if something happens to Merlin," I say.

'It worked out over the phonelasttime. I'm sure I can do it, don't worry,' he says confidently.

"Okay, but if anything, call my mom or Alex. You have their numbers, don't you?'

"I have their numbers. It's going to be okay. Besides, my parents and sister will come to Brooklyn. That's how they get to know Merlin. My mom is so curious to see her first grandchild. So, you see, I have enough help,' he says with a laugh.

'I know, but I don't know how Merlin will react in another bed. Oh, you can put him in your bed. He likes to sleep with, I start, but I'm interrupted by him.

"Claire, Claire, breathe. We're only Monday. We've got a full week to discuss everything, okay?' he says.

"Okay, I'm sorry, but I'm a little stressed," I say. It's the first time I'll be this far from him for two days. I hope the weekend will go soon. Not that I don't want to spend time with Silas, but I'll miss Merlin.

"I'm going to be fine, trust me," he says.

"I trust you, until then, bye," I say.

"Until then, bye," he says.

I hang up and see how much time I have left. Six minutes to go. Is that enough to call Niall? I feel like he's got something to do with it. I mean, he said Silas doesn't deserve me, and then he stares at him, angry. He's got a problem, that's obvious, I guess. Right? Or do I see ghosts? Am I getting paranoid?

"Niall?"?'

"Claire?"

"Yes, I wanted to ask you something," I say. Well, why else would I call?

"Just ask," he says, as if nothing happened. It makes me a little angry that he's being so stupid.

"What's your problem?" I ask before I realize that it seems pretty rude.

"What?" he asks shocked.

"I mean, why did you say all those things from yesterday? And Silas said you were staring at him the whole time, and he didn't think you were happy. Did he do anything wrong with you?" I ask.

It's going to take him a while to say something.

"Um,no. I just can't stand it if someone doesn't treat their love with respect,' he says.

Silas treats me with respect. Okay, yesterday I was angry because he ignored me, but he immediately apologized. He didn't realize it. He hadn't seen Kelsey in a long time. And he didn't trust me from the beginning, but the situation is complex, too. Or am I so naïve?

"WTF?" He treats me with respect. I love him and he loves me. I thought you were a friend, Niall, I say, or earlier, I'm calling.

'I'm a friend too! He ignores you and doesn't trust you while he's so lucky to have you. Every boy should be happy with you. I'd be happy to have you! I'd make you feel special every day! I'd tell you every day that I love you! I'd make you happy every day because you make me happy because I love you!' he shouts.