Chapter 66

Jack

"Jack, I was able to book tickets for tomorrow at 11:30 a.m.," says Jason standing in front of my desk.

'That's great. Call Harry to let him know. I will try to call the police of Nigeria in the hope that they can help us with a search and an interrogation of Eric,' I say, and Jason goes back to his office. I'll quickly find the number and call Nigeria's police quarter.

"Hello to Nigeria Police, what can we help you with?" asks a woman with an accent.

"Hello, you're talking to Jack here from the New York Police Department. We're working on a case, and our prime suspect is Eric Walker. In Nigeria, however, he has Vynedresa as his last name. I was wondering if we could get a search warrant for his house or his hotel, which he is in charge of, or permission to interrogate him,' I tell the woman.

"Um, I'll connect you to the chief. Please,' she says, suddenly hearing a little music on the phone. Sighing, I wait until I suddenly hear a man's voice.

"With the chief constable, what can I help you with?" he asks. Sighing, I'll explain everything again. 'Eric Vynedresa is indeed known here. He's a much-loved man. I must therefore inform you that the interrogation or search will not continue. I can assure you he has nothing to do with your case. Have a good day,' he says, putting the phone down before I can say anything.

I hit the table, frustrated that Eric has the whole police in his power. I'm trying to come up with a new plan, but before I can find anything, there's a call. "Hello, with Police New York," I say.

"Am I speaking to Jack, who just called Eric vynedresa?" asks another female voice in flawed English.

"Maybe. Who am I talking to? What is it about?' I ask cautiously.

"You're talking to Céline, a Nigerian agent. Your call caused a lot of panic in the police, which is why I was told about your call. I've been waiting years for someone to call here with Eric. I'm also trying to get people together to get Eric together, but in other words, people are bribed or too scared to even look at him. I hope you can help me get him,' Céline says, whispering. In the background, I do hear a lot of fuss.

"How do I know I can trust you and not work for Eric?" I ask even though I have faith in her story.

"I can send you a list that I was able to get a few days ago that includes names of girls with prizes and other names, probably those of the people who bought the girls," she says.

"Ok, but you could have just gotten that list from Eric himself," I say.

She sighs. 'Well, on the list you'll notice that the names of the buyers are not good men and not unprecedented in the criminal world. I don't think Eric would release that,' she says.

"All right send me that list and then look at it thoroughly. After a meeting with my boss, I'll let you know if we'll continue working or not. What exactly is your intention of this phone call?' I ask.

'As I've said before, everyone here in Nigeria is either bribed or too scared to do anything to Eric. So, I hope for your help to apprehend him and bring all the men, women and children back to their homes, including my sister,' she says.

We exchange some more data and then end our conversation. Just then, Jason's coming into my desk. "Harry has been notified. He'll be there at the airport tomorrow. Have had any success in Nigeria?' he asks as he sits down.

'Not at first, the whole police force was bribed there, but then a policewoman called from there because she was told about my call. She wants to help us,' I say.