Chapter 28

Claire

After the call, I went straight to work. Hopefully Sam can help me get those pictures.

"Hi," says Sam when he sees me, "you're sooner than usual."

"Yes, I know. I have to ask you something."

"Just ask," he says with a face. I'll take a chair and sit next to him.

"You know Silas thinks I cheated on him by certain pictures. Well, could you ask him if he wants to forward it so I can figure out who made it, with the help of others, of course," I ask cautiously.

"I don't know. I don't think he's going to want to do that."

"Please, I want to be able to prove that the pictures are not real. At least he'll believe I didn't cheat on him. That's the only way to get him back," I say.

"Ok, ok, I'll ask him, but I wouldn't have too much hope if I were yours," he says.

"Oh, believe me, I barely have hope right now."

I really barely have any hope. How are we ever going to find out who took those pictures? I hope Harry knows what he's doing.

When I open the front door, I see Alex and Merlin watching some kind of children's program. Even though it's only been a year, it would obviously be good to look at such programs because of the colors, I think... I read that somewhere once.

"Hey, how did it go? Was he good?" I'll ask if I sit down. I'll give him a kiss on his nose.

"Yes, i do. Say where is Silas anyway? I haven't seen him all day. Is he working maybe?" Alex asks.

She doesn't know anything yet about his work and our breakup, obviously.

"Um, I wouldn't know. Silas and I are... sort of... separated."

She gasps and comes straight to me to hug me. I'm going to start crying right away. I'm not holding back. "Let it go, get it right. It will be your virtue."

She rubs on my back. It makes me calm down again. Quietly, my sobs calmdown. She lets me go and looks at me.

"How did it happen? You were perfect for each other. Everyone saw it. What happened?" she asks.

I wipe the last tears off my cheeks. "He thinks I cheated on him, which i didn't. He's seen pictures of me kissing someone. It's fake. It's fake. I don't know who that did either," I say.

Luckily, Merlin keeps watching the TV and he doesn't look after me. I don't want him to see me crying. He always has to cry about that, too.

"It'll be fine. One day Silas will realize that you wouldn't do something like that," she says, giving me one last hug before she goes home.

When I take Merlin to the kitchen and put him in his chair, my cell phone goes off. It's Sam.

"Hey, Sam."

"Hey, I asked Silas and he wants to do it. He wants to give you a chance to prove it."

When he has uttered those words, I start jumping and Merlin starts laughing at which I have to laugh with me.

"Really? Super thank you! Tell him he's not going to regret it."

"I will do, until tomorrow and sleep softly, Claire. I think you can have more hope now," he says with a laugh.

"Sleep softly, Sam."

I'm going to go to my computer quickly and see that I have an e-mail from Silas. He's already sent the pictures. I'll send him a thank you even though I know he won't respond. I'll call Harry right away. He tells me to send them to him, and I'll do it right away. After that, I'll get on with the food.