Gilbert Grape #2

Imagine you're best friends with Gilbert Grape and you get jealous when he meets someone.

*Requested by weirdoL2*

You've been best friends with Gilbert Grape ever since you moved to Endora during your Senior Year in high school. You met him when you applied to 'Lamson's Grocery' after your parents convinced you to get an after school job. While you were working with Gilbert, you and him would talk to each other to get to know one another. Even talk about Gilbert's family life and him watching over his mentally challenged teenage little brother, Arnie.

Eventually, you and Gilbert became best friends and pretty much a part of his family. You would come by to visit him and his family all the time whenever you didn't have anything to do since your parents worked all the time and there wasn't anything to do in Endora. Gilbert would always tell you that he's very grateful to have you in his life and you felt the same way about having him your life as well. Yet, unbeknownst to Gilbert, you felt something different towards him than just being a best friend. But you didn't have the nerve to tell him what you're feeling.

Later on, while you were sweeping an aisle at work, for some reason, you looked up to see Gilbert. What you didn't expect to see was him and a short, brown haired girl you didn't recognize. She looked like was new in town. You noticed that Gilbert was looking nervous and was brushing his long, shoulder-length light golden brown hair back with his fingers while he talked with her. In that instant, you felt something in your heart that you've never felt before. It was the feeling of jealousy.

Over the next few days, your jealousy had never left you since that day Gilbert met that new girl. You've been avoiding him while you both worked and you've not been visiting him and his family for a while. You see him talking to her and giving her rides to wherever she was staying. You felt like you were losing your best friend and the one who you have feelings for.

***

One day, on a rainy day in Endora, you were at the cash register, wiping down the counters, with Arnie sitting on top of one of them, looking and laughing at his jar of grasshoppers. "Look, (y/n). Look at my grasshoppers." Arnie said, laughing a bit. You chuckled and you turned to look at Arnie's grasshoppers. "Wow, Arnie. You got so many of them." You said. Arnie laughed and said, "I got so many." "If they need to be fed, let me know, Arnie." You said, as you, gently, patted Arnie's knee and walked back to the cash register.

You glanced to your left and you saw Gilbert sweeping the closest aisle by the cash register. You still haven't talked to him for a while and it's been hard for you since you didn't have the nerve to tell him how you felt towards him without the new girl being around him. He stopped sweeping for a bit and, then, he glanced up at you, which made you turn your head away from him and look down at the cash register. You heard him sweeping again.

Moments later, you heard the entrance door bell ring. You looked up and saw the girl that you've seen around Gilbert. She looked at you and simply said, "Hi." But you didn't say 'hi' back. You just simply nodded back to her as she walked passed you, grabbed a basket, and started looking around the store. As you watched her heading towards the aisle where Gilbert was, she stopped in front of him and Gilbert stopped sweeping and he looked at her. Your heart started aching as you saw them talking and Gilbert brushing his hair back again as he was talking.

All of a sudden, you felt like you needed to step outside as you were fighting the tears back. But you couldn't hold them back any longer. Gilbert glanced towards your direction and he noticed the tears escaping your eyes. "(y/n), are you okay?" He asked, worriedly, as he started walking towards you. But you didn't answer. Instead, you walked away from the cash register and headed towards the door. "Mr. Lamson, I'm going on my lunch." You said, lying at the same time, trying to cover your face with one hand to avoid anyone looking at the tears running down your cheeks. "(y/n), wait—" You heard Gilbert starting to say something, but you were already outside, in the rain, before the door closed.

As you were walking away from 'Lamson's Grocery', getting soaked already from the rain, you heard Gilbert's voice from behind you. "(y/n), what are you doing? It's raining!" He yelled. "I don't care." You said, without looking at him, as you continued walking. But before you could go any further, Gilbert ran and stopped in front of you, making you stop in your tracks. "(y/n), stop. Please. What's going on? You've been avoiding me and not talking to me for a while. This is not like you at all. Why are you crying? Did I do something wrong to upset you?" Gilbert asked, concerned, as he placed his hands on your shoulders and was starting to get soaked from the rain. "I...I..." You tried talking, but you couldn't get the words out of your mouth and you felt nervous to tell him. "It's okay, (y/n). Tell me what's wrong." Gilbert said, as he wiped the tears off your cheeks with his thumb. You took a deep breath and finally said, "I've been avoiding you because I was jealous of you being around that new girl."

Gilbert furrowed his eyebrows, in confusion, but was also shocked after you explained. "Jealous? (y/n), why are you jealous?" He asked. "Because I thought you were into her and I thought I was losing my best friend and...and I have feelings for you, Gilbert." You confessed. Gilbert was even more shocked after you said that last part. "You have feelings for me?" "Yes. For the longest time, after we became best friends for years, I saw you more than just my best friend. I've had these feelings for a while and I wanted to tell you, but I was nervous and...I thought it was too late because of the new girl. You're my only friend, Gilbert, and I don't wanna lose you or your family since they're like a second family to me. You're the only guy I wanna be with for the rest of my life. I love you, Gilbert Grape." You said.

Then, out of nowhere, Gilbert leaned down and pressed his lips against yours. You closed your eyes and kissed him back as you wrapped your arms around his neck. He pulled away from the kiss and he wrapped his arms around you and stroked the back of shoulder with his thumb while he leaned his head against yours. "Oh, (y/n)." He spoke, softly, as he continued stroking your shoulder. You both held onto each other as it continued to rain.

Moments later, Gilbert leaned up and looked down at you and said, "I love you too, (y/n). I've loved you ever since you came into my life. My life was so complicated. But when I met you, (y/n), you've brightened my life, especially when I have no friends. You're the only one who knows how to make me feel better when I have stressful days and you have cared so much for me and my family. I don't want to lose you either. If I had known you were jealous, I would've told you that I'm not into her. There's no need to be jealous at all since her and her grandmother are leaving Endora the next day. She doesn't even know me more like you do anyway."

You smiled up at him and you pecked his lips. "I'm sorry for being jealous and avoiding you, Gilbert. It was so immature of me to do that." You said. Gilbert smiled down at you and said, "I forgive you, (y/n)." Then, he leaned down and kissed you again. You kissed him back as you ran your fingers through his hair. "Not so very romantic with this rain in the way." You said through the kiss. Gilbert chuckled as he continued kissing you.

Then, you both pulled away from the kiss and smiled at each other. "Let's head back inside. I hate to get soaked out here in this rain much longer." Gilbert said. "I bet Arnie is gonna laugh when he sees us." You said, with a giggle, which made Gilbert giggle as well. Then, with your arm wrapped around Gilbert's waist and his arm wrapped around your waist, you both headed back to 'Lamson's Grocery' to get out of the rain.