Edward Ratchett #1

Imagine you're a writer traveling on the Orient Express and you meet Edward Ratchett.

1934.

You were boarding the Orient Express train in Paris that was heading back to London after traveling around Europe for the past two months in search for inspiration for your upcoming mystery books. It was fun traveling around to different countries all over Europe, but you felt like it was time to go home. You took so many notes down from all the places you've been to and you were excited to go home and write down those ideas for your books.

***

It was late at night as you sat in the dining room looking out the window and watching the snow-covered landscapes passing by. The other passengers were leaving the dining room to rest for the night. But for some reason, you didn't feel tired yet. You thought you could stay in the dining room for a little bit longer until you were ready to go to bed. You were so distracted, you didn't even see who else was in the dining room with you.

"Want some cake?" You heard a man asked you from behind, which made you jump, slightly. You turned and saw a handsome man in a dark gray suit that was behind you. He had dark brown hair and brown eyes and a mustache. He also had a scar on his right eyebrow. "I apologize for startling you, Miss." He said. "No, no. It's fine. I wasn't paying attention. What were you asking me, sir?" You said. "I asked if you wanted this last piece of cake. Do you want it? It's carrot cake." The man said. You thought about it for a second until you looked at the carrot cake; it did look good and you felt a bit hungry for dessert. You nodded and said, "I would love some carrot cake. Thank you." Then, the man set the cake in front of you. "You're welcome." He said.

"Mind if I sit with you, Miss—" He began to say, but he obviously didn't know your name, so you finished for him. "(y/l/n). My name is (y/n) (y/l/n)." You introduced yourself, as you held your hand out for him to shake. "And what is your name that I shall be aquatinted to?" You asked. "Edward Ratchett, my dear lady." He said, and, then, he, gently, took your hand and placed a kiss on top of it. You blushed when you felt his soft, warm lips against your hand. "Well, I am pleased to meet you, Mr. Ratchett. Please, have a seat." You said, gesturing to a chair across from you. "Please. Call me 'Edward'." He said, as he sat down in the chair across from you.

After that, you started taking small bites of the carrot cake. "It's very good carrot cake. I appreciate your kind gesture for giving me this last piece, Edward." "It was my pleasure, Miss (y/n). I hate to see a pretty girl such as yourself starve." He said. You blushed even more after he called you 'pretty'. He chuckled and added, "You're quite cute when you blush." You giggled.

"So, you know any of these passengers on this Orient Express that you're traveling with, (y/n)?" Edward asked. You shook your head and answered, "No. I don't know any of these passengers here. Although I hate to point it out that they do seem rather odd. But I'm not gonna go into that. Anyway, I'm actually on the Orient Express by myself heading to my home in London after traveling all around Europe for the last two months." "Is that so? A young woman traveling all over Europe. That's some adventure you've got in that mind of yours. What did you do all over Europe?" Edward asked, curiously. "I needed some inspiration for my upcoming mystery books, so I looked all over Europe for any ideas that I could use for my books. So far, I have some really great ideas." You said.

"How fascinating. I'm sitting in front of a famous mystery writer. It's wonderful to know what you do to capture some inspiration to make your books wonderful." Edward said. You giggled and said, "I wish I was a famous writer. Right now, I'm not. I'm just a beginner. One day, I shall become a famous writer. So, what about yourself? Are you traveling with one of these passengers or are you a loner, Mister Edward?" He cleared his throat and straightened his tie before he answered, "As a matter of fact, I am traveling alone. I am an art dealer, just returning from Milan after selling pieces of valuable art. I must say, art dealing is not so easy. Like you, Miss (y/n), I too am a beginner." You chuckled and said, "Now there's something that we have a lot in common." "Exactly." Edward agreed.

You finished your carrot cake and, politely, wiped your mouth with a napkin. "Feel better, darling?" Edward asked. You nodded. "Much better. It was very delicious." You said. "So tell me. What made you want to become a writer?" Edward asked, curiously. "Writing has fascinated me for as long as I can remember. I've read so many books, especially mystery books, in all my life, that I wanted to try writing creativity myself and share it with the world." You explained. "How remarkable of you wanting to share your talents with the world." Edward commented. "Thank you." You said.

"And what about you? What made you want to become an art dealer if it's not-so-easy?" You asked, curiously. Edward loosened his tie a bit as if it was strangling him and said, "Well, I actually became an art dealer once I wanted to start a new life. You see, I once knew this man who goes by the name John Cassetti. He did something horrible. He was involved with the kidnapping and the murder of Daisy Armstrong, the daughter to Colonel Armstrong." You gasped, softly, hearing about the kidnapping and murder of Daisy Armstrong. You've read about it in the newspapers. 'Who would do something like that to a poor, innocent child?' You thought to yourself. "After I have heard about it, I had fled to Paris and wanted to start a new life without wanting to know John Cassetti. He and I...were very close, you see." Edward finished.

You nodded and said, "I could understand why. That's terrible of what he did." "Yes. It was. But now I am getting adjusted to this new life and I don't have to worry about the past." Edward said. "There you go. That's all it matters. Starting a new life and getting away from that horrible person." You said. Edward grinned at you and said, "I appreciate your sympathy and your support, (y/n). You're a very kind young lady." "Thank you, Edward." You said back.

Then, you let out a yawn, feeling tired, with Edward noticing. "I can see that you're tired, (y/n)." He said. You nodded and yawned again. Edward, then, got up from his seat and stood in beside you and held out his hand towards you. "Would you like me to walk you to your compartment?" He asked. You hesitated at first, but, then, you took his hand and stood up and you both walked out of the dining room.

Once you and Edward got to the compartment section of the Orient Express, you looked for your compartment number. You both stopped when you finally found your compartment number, eight. You turned and faced Edward one last time and said, "Well, I really appreciate talking with you, Edward. Perhaps we shall be acquainted the next day and get to know each other more." Edward smiled and brought your hand to his lips and placed a kiss on it. "I enjoyed your company, (y/n). It was definitely a wonderful evening getting to know you for a bit. Until tomorrow we shall meet. Now you get some sleep, Miss (y/n), and I will see you in the morning." He said, and, then, he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on your cheek. You blushed and smiled after he did that. He released your hand and walked to his own compartment.

After Edward left, you placed your hand on the spot on your cheek where he kissed you. It felt wonderful to feel his lips against your skin again. 'He really is a gentleman.' You thought to yourself. You sighed, happily, as you opened your compartment door and walked in, not even realizing of who you were really talking to this evening.