J.M. Barrie #1

Imagine you attending the Peter Pan play and you meet J.M. Barrie.

1903.

It was around the evening as you were attending a new play at a local London theater that was called, Peter Pan, by local writer and playwright, J.M. Barrie. You've heard so much about it from many people, so you decided to attend it because you heard how the play brings so much imagination when you watch the first few minutes of it. Imagination has always fascinated you ever since you were little and it had lead you to become a writer yourself and write stories or plays with a touch of imagination. Plus, you wanted to get the possible opportunity to meet J.M. himself because he's been an inspiration to you after reading his stories and attending to his previous plays. But you never got the chance to meet him.

After the play was over, you walked out of the auditorium and waited around the lobby, with a smile on your face. The play was absolutely amazing and it was magical as when you watched the children on stage fly in the air and looked at the wonderful Neverland scenes. You felt like you wanted to fly in the air and go to Neverland yourself. It felt nostalgic to you because it reminded you of your childhood of how you and your mother would make up adventures in the backyard of your home and imagine of wonderful, magical places to go to that doesn't exist in real life.

As you were walking around the lobby, you spotted a couple talking and shaking a man's hand. You had a feeling that it was J.M. Barrie. He was quite handsome and he seemed very nice the moment you saw him. You instantly found him very attractive. After the couple walked away, you took the opportunity to go up to J.M. and meet with him. You took a deep breath and walked up to him, where he turned towards your direction and smiled at you.

"Excuse me, are you J.M. Barrie, the author?" You asked. He chuckled and said, "Aye. The one and only, lassie." You blushed when you found his Scottish voice very attractive and after he called you 'lassie'. "Well, good evening, Mr. Barrie." You said. "Good evening, my dear. What be your name, lassie?" He said, as he, kindly, held his hand out towards you. "I'm (y/n) (y/l/n) and it's very nice to meet you." You said, as you took his hand and shook it. "It's very nice to meet you too, Miss (y/n). Such a beautiful name you have there. Please call me 'James'." He said, shaking your hand back.

"I wanted to say that your play was absolutely amazing and magnificent. I felt like a child again and wanted to fly with the children." You said, as you released his hand. "Why, thank you, (y/n). It's nice to hear that. That is what I was going for. Sometimes grown ups need to take a moment and feel a child themselves again. I use a little wee bit of imagination." James said.

His words were so captivating as you listened to him speak. "Absolutely amazing. You've been an inspiration to me for quite awhile." You said. James looked at you as if he was intrigued. "Oh, have I?" He questioned. "Yes. Ever since I was a child, my mother and I would make up these adventurous imaginations in our backyard, just to feel what it would be like to go somewhere exciting. My father objected the idea of imagination and would call it 'idiotic', but my mother and I didn't listen to him." You explained. "How quite wonderful, (y/n). Is your mother here with you this evening?" "Sadly, she isn't here. She died a year ago." You said, sadly. "Aw. I'm sorry for your loss, lassie." James said, sympathetically. "I appreciate your sympathy, James. She would've loved to see your play. With me being here, I know she is watching it with me, in spirit." You said. "And I believe that to be true, my dear (y/n)." James said, with a wink.

You took a deep breath to not let the emotions get to you before you continued speaking with James. "I've read so much of your stories growing up and they're the main reason why I have become a writer myself. To express my childhood imaginations on paper." You explained. "A writer you say?" James questioned. You nodded. "Listening to all what you're telling me, (y/n), sounds so much like what I had did when I created Peter Pan." He said. "Really?" You questioned.

"Aye. What inspired me to write this play was after I met a dear friend of mine, Sylvia Llewelyn Davies and her four boys, George, Jack, Peter, and Michael. Me and her boys played many adventures together, which inspired me to write Peter Pan. We have thought up so many adventures of our own just to entertain themselves and their mother. I thought up the idea of Peter Pan and the children flying because I always had the idea that babies were birds before they were born; parents put bars on nursery windows to keep the little ones from flying away. That is why I had created Peter Pan; to express a boy who wouldn't grow up and flys around Neverland to go on his amazing adventures." James explained.

As you were listening to him talk about his creation of Peter Pan, you smiled at him, in admiration. "My goodness. That is truly amazing how you used your inspiration from all the adventures you had with her boys. I did hear about her and I'm sorry to hear that she passed away." You said, sympathetically. "I appreciate your sympathy, (y/n). She was indeed quite a dear special friend to me. But one thing for sure, I know that Sylvia has found her way to Neverland." James said. You smiled after hearing his beautiful words. "I'm sure she has too. How are her boys doing?" You asked. "They're doing fine. Right now, their grandmother and I are watching the young lads." James said. "That's good. They need a father figure like you." You said.

Then, you looked at a nearby clock and you noticed it was getting rather late. "Well, I shall be getting home now. It's getting quite late. It was very nice meeting you, James." You said, as you were about to turn around. But James, gently, took your hand into his and you turned around and faced him. "Before you go for the night, I was wondering if you would to join me in the park for an afternoon stroll so that you could tell me all about your writings?" He asked. You blushed and smiled at him before you answered, "That would be splendid. I would be delighted to join you for an afternoon stroll through the park, James." He smiled and said, "Splendid. Meet me in Kensington Gardens tomorrow, lassie." "I will see you then, James." You said. "Until we meet tomorrow, my dear (y/n)." He said, and, then, he took your hand and placed a gentle kiss on top of it, which made you blush even more, before releasing it.

Afterwards, you left the theater and took a carriage to your house. During the ride, all you did was look down at the spot on your hand where James kissed, with a smile on your face. You thought this was the best night you've ever had in your life. Attending the Peter Pan play and meeting and talking with J.M. Barrie himself. It was an absolute splendid evening and you couldn't wait to see James tomorrow afternoon in Kensington Gardens.