Gator Lerner #2

Imagine you're waiting for your husband, Gator Lerner, to come home from the Vietnam War.

(A/N: Happy Veteran's Day everyone! I would like to dedicate this imagine to my grandpa, who passed away this year in March. He served in the Air Force and would've fought in Vietnam. Happy Birthday, Papa!)

1968.

You were sitting alone on your living room couch in the middle of the afternoon, watching the news on the television to check on any updates on what's happening with the Vietnam War. It was a daily routine you've gotten used to doing for a year now because you were thinking about the one the person that was over there, fighting the war in Vietnam. You were thinking about your husband, Gator Lerner.

***

A year ago, you married Gator Lerner, who you've been dating for three years. A week later, after you both got married, Gator received a letter that he was to be deployed to Vietnam, not only to fight for the United States, but they also needed a translator. It broke your heart that he was leaving for the war after being married for a week. The last time you saw him was at the airport, where you both embraced each other in a hug and said 'goodbye' to each other. After he left, you cried almost every single night, worried that you weren't gonna see your husband alive again. All you did was hope and pray that Gator would come home to you one day.

***

A year has passed and you still haven't heard any news about Gator. You leaned back against the couch and glanced down at your wedding ring, thinking about all the memories of you and Gator, including the day you both got married. 'Oh, Gator. I wish you were here. I wish I could be in your arms and hear your heartbeat. I miss you so much and I only hope you come home soon.' You thought to yourself.

Then, out of nowhere, the front door opened. You looked towards the direction and stood up, with your hand covering your opened mouth, when you saw a familiar face looking at you, in a Vietnam War uniform. He had bandages on his forehead and on his right upper arm and a couple of bruises on his face. Tears had already started running down your cheeks when you saw Gator standing there, with a smile on his face and tenderness in his eyes and his arms held out towards you.

"(y/n)." He spoke, softly. "Oh, Gator." You said, as you ran towards him and embraced him in tight, but gentle hug because of his injuries and you cried against his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around you and held you close to him as he buried his face in the crook of your neck and started crying. "I can't believe you're here. You're alive. I was so worried about you, Gator. I was so worried that I wasn't gonna see you again." You cried. "Shh. Shh. It's okay, (y/n). I'm here. I'm alive and I'm happy to have you in my arms and hear your beautiful voice again." Gator said, as he moved away from your neck and placed a kiss on your temple and, then, he leaned his head against the side of yours. He placed his hand on the back of your head, holding you.

Moments later, you both slightly pulled away from the hug and you both looked at each other, with your hands resting on his shoulders. "You're not going back, are you?" You asked. Gator placed his hand on your cheek and stroked it, gently, with his thumb and said, "Of course not, baby. I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying right here. With my heart." You smiled even more and more tears were running down your cheeks again. This time, they were happy tears. "I love you, Gator." You said. He smiled back and said, "I love you too, (y/n)." Then, you leaned up and pressed your lips against Gator's and he immediately kissed you back, with his arms wrapped around you and holding you close.