Mort Rainey #7

Imagine you're friends with Mort Rainey and you stay with him after escaping from your ex-boyfriend.

*Requested by GrindelwaldSparrow*

'Keep going. Keep driving. Whatever you do, keep on driving until you have reached the destination your heart is telling you where to go.' You heard your inner conscience speaking to you in your mind as you were completely focused on driving down the darkened road that leads to your hometown that you haven't seen in years during the evening, with a couple of packed suitcases in the backseat and fear in your eyes. Just a few minutes ago, you ran away from your New York City apartment to escape from your ex-boyfriend, Avery, and his abusive behavior. After two years of suffering, you decided to end your relationship with him by leaving a break-up note at the apartment while he was covering a shift at his work and go back to your hometown, Tashmore Lake.

When you arrived at Tashmore Lake, you drove through the small town, slowly, while you observed it for a bit. It felt weird being back in your hometown since you haven't seen it in ten years after you left for college to pursue your writing career. The town still looked the same as it ever looked, with the same folks who lived there a long time you could possibly recognize.

You parked your car in front of the local market to grab something to eat before you could go back on the road to look for a nearby motel to stay in until you could find a suitable home to live in. As you were grabbing a box of cereal, you heard a voice from behind you say, "(y/n) (y/l/n)?" At first, your eyes widened, thinking it was your ex-boyfriend, but, then, you came to your senses when you realized that it was someone else who you knew very well that you haven't seen in years. You turned around and was face-to-face with your close friend from high school, Mort Rainey, who now happens to be a famous mystery writer.

"Mort Rainey?" You said, happily. "Long time no see." Mort said, as the two of you embraced each other in a heartwarming hug, with Mort chuckling. "It's good to see you again, Mort. I haven't seen you since high school graduation." You said. "I know. It's been so long. I've missed you so much, (y/n)." Mort said. "I've missed you too, Mort." You said back. Then, you both pulled away from the hug and looked at each other. "So, how's everything going with you? I've been reading your books." "Oh, it's been good. Okay, I guess you can say. I'm currently working on a new book. I'm hoping to make a very good twisted ending for it." Mort stated. "That's nice." You commented. "Yeah, and, well, I'm also going through a divorce with my wife, Amy." Mort added, looking down, slightly.

It bummed you out to hear that he was married since he was not only your very close friend in high school, but he was also your crush. His creative writing skills, his personality, and his handsome facial features, especially when he wore glasses, had a sparked a deep liking for him. You've been wanting to tell him how you felt, but your nerves got the better of you and you didn't even tell him on the day of graduation before you left for summer orientation at college the next day. It felt miserable for the past ten years for not seeing or speaking to Mort and going out with guys, including Avery, that you didn't actually love since your feelings for Mort never went away. But now that you're hearing that Mort's divorcing his wife, it honestly made you feel happy inside, even though you felt bad for him.

"Oh. I'm so sorry to hear about that, Mort." You said, with sympathy in your voice. "It's alright, (y/n). It's for the best anyway since she cheated on me." Mort explained. 'That witch. How could she do that to him?' You thought to yourself. "Aw. That's horrible, Mort. It probably is for the best." "Yeah. But enough about that. How are you doing, (y/n)? How's everything going on with you?" Mort asked. You hesitated to answer his questions until you said, sorrowly, "Um, it's been okay, I guess." Mort could sense that something wasn't right as he stared into your (e/c) eyes. "Are you sure you're okay, (y/n)?" He questioned, sounding concerned.