Mort Rainey #3

Imagine you comforting Mort Rainey after finding out about his divorce.

*Requested by WonkruHeda*

"Mort?" You called out as you knocked on your close friend, Mort Rainey's, secluded cabin door. But there was no answer. His Jeep was in front of his cabin, so you knew he had to be home. You drove all the way from New York City after receiving a voice message from Mort, asking you if you wanted to come over to see him, sounding depressed. It was confusing to you of why he called you after not seeing each other for years and why he sounded depressed over the voice message. But it was still concerning to you, so you went ahead and drove to Tashmore Lake to check on him.

***

You haven't seen Mort since your guy's college graduation. When you both started the first year of college, the two of you met each other in your guy's creative writing class. You both had similar passions for writing and wanting to become writers after college. Mort loved your poems that you wrote for different assignments in the class, especially when it was thriller themed poems. You both, eventually, became really good close friends and you both would study together all the time and get to know each other more.

Later on, during your guy's fourth year in college, Mort met Amy, a snobby woman in your Psychology class that you didn't like. It broke your heart because you had feelings for him and you were gonna tell him one day. That was until you saw him with Amy and it was too late to tell him because they started dating and you didn't want to get in between them. But you were still bummed that he spent less and less time with you. Years later, after graduating from college, you, now as a successful writer, found out from one of Mort's friends that he and Amy got married. Since then, you haven't seen or spoke to Mort, even though you thought about him sometimes, wondering how his married life was with Amy.

***

You tried knocking on the door again to see if Mort would answer, but he didn't. You sighed, in frustration. So, you decided to turn the doorknob to see if it was locked or not. Luckily, it was unlocked. You, slowly, opened the door and walked inside, noticing some packed boxes all around. "Mort?" You called out towards the stairs. Then, you heard mumbling coming from the couch. You walked over to the couch and saw Mort sleeping, lazily, in his clothes and torn up robe. You furrowed your eyebrows, in confusion. You walked up to him and started to, lightly, shake him on his shoulder. "Mort?" You said, while you were shaking him.

Moments later, you stopped shaking him and took a step back as Mort groaned and yawned. He opened his eyes and looked up at you. He squinted his eyes, tiredly and looked as if he was confused, as he reached for his glasses and put them on. His eyes got adjusted and, then, he recognized you. "(y/n)?" He asked. You nodded and said, "Hey, Mort." He sat up in his couch, with his blonde hair all messy, and stretched a bit. "Your hair's a mess." You said, pointing to his hair. "It's okay. It doesn't bother me. What are you doing here, (y/n)?" Mort asked, yawning a bit.

"You called me last night, unexpectedly, and left me a voice message asking if I wanted to come over and see you." You explained. Mort looked as if he was trying to remember. Then, he said, "Oh, yeah, that's right. I did call you. I must've forgotten about it." "That's okay, Mort. I was just surprised that you tried to call me last night after all these years of not seeing each other. But I didn't want to ignore it because you sounded depressed in the voice message and it concerned me." You said. Mort looked down and ran his hand through his messy hair, trying to look a bit presentable. "Yeah. I'm sorry about that. It came out of nowhere. I didn't know who else to call or see because of what I'm going through right now. Then, I thought about you and looked up your contact information on your novel website and called you." He explained.

When you heard him mention 'going through right now', you furrowed your eyebrows, in confusion, again. "What do you mean 'going through right now', Mort?" You asked. Mort scoot over and patted a spot on the couch for you and said, "Come here, (y/n)." You, then, set your purse down on the floor and sat down next to him. "What's wrong, Mort?" You asked. Mort took a deep breath and let it out before speaking. "(y/n)...I'm divorcing Amy." He said. You were shocked to hear that. "Oh, no. I'm sorry to hear about that, Mort." You said. Mort shook his head and said, "There's no need to say 'sorry', (y/n). It's the right thing to do since I honestly want nothing to do with her anymore after what she did." "What did she do, Mort?" You asked. "She...She cheated on me, (y/n)." Mort answered.

You felt your heart ache after Mort told you what Amy did that caused him to be depressed. "Aw, Mort. That's terrible. I can't believe she would do that. Why would she do that to you?" You said, as you placed your hand on his shoulder. "She changed after..." Mort was about to say, but he seemed like he was loss for words. "After what, Mort?" You asked. "After we lost our baby. Amy miscarried almost a year ago and it's been hard on us." Mort said, sadly. It made your heart ache even more; the thought of losing a baby. You placed your hand on Mort's back and started rubbing it in circles. "Mort, I'm sorry to hear about that. It's hard go through something like that." You said, with sympathy in your voice.

Mort stared at the empty fireplace and said, "After that, she saw me as a whole different person. Like she didn't know me anymore. Sooner or later, I had a suspicion that she was seeing somebody else. My mind kept doubting it, but that all changed once I found out. I went for a drive, saw her car parked in a parking lot of a motel, with a fancy Jetta parked next to her car. I wanted to confront her, but my mind kept telling me to leave. The thing was, I couldn't leave. I had to know. Then, after I got the spare keys from the motel desk, I caught Amy sleeping with a man named Ted. It was the most horrific scene that I've ever seen in my life that I thought I'd never wanted to see." Mort, then, hung his head down, looking defeated, with his hands covering his face.

After hearing what Amy did, you wrapped your arms around Mort and pulled him into a comforting hug. You could feel his arms snaking around your back and his head laying against your shoulder as he held you close to him, as if he didn't want to let go of you. It felt wonderful to be in Mort's arms and having him hold you close to him. "It's okay, Mort. I'm here." You whispered, as you embraced him for the next five minutes.

Moments later, Mort pulled away from the hug, while facing you. "I wish didn't have to go through this, (y/n). It makes me feel like I made a huge mistake in my life. I felt like I married the wrong woman and should've been married to the one that's sitting in front of me for all these years." He said. When you heard him say the last part, you looked at him, surprised, but also shocked. 'Am I dreaming or is Mort actually being serious?' You thought to yourself. "Mort, did you say you should've married me?" You asked.

Mort nodded and said, "(y/n), I feel so guilty for speaking and spending less time with you when we were college and after I married Amy. It was wrong for me to do that to you. You were the only one that spend a lot of time with and knew more than I did when I was with Amy. I didn't even realize that I hurt you until I thought about you and called you yesterday. I thought you didn't want to see me again after what I did to you. But now that you're here with me, I feel much better and happy to have you back in my life." You felt your heart flutter after he said all of that. It was like the old Mort talking to you back in college.

"Really, Mort?" You asked. Mort took your hand and scooted closer towards you. "Yes, (y/n). I love you. I hope you forgive me for hurting your feelings years ago." He said, as caressed your cheek with his other hand. You blushed as you melted into Mort's touch against your cheek. "I forgive you, Mort, and I love you too. I've been waiting for all these years to tell you that." You said. Then, Mort leaned towards you and pressed his lips against yours. You were wide-eyed for a second, but, then, you closed your eyes and kissed him back, enjoying the moment that you've been waiting for since college.

Moments later, Mort pulled slightly away from the kiss and whispered, "Will you stay with me, (y/n)? And I mean, will you stay by my side for the rest of our lives?" You smiled, with your eyes still closed, as you listened to Mort. You nodded, slowly, and said, "I will stay with you, Mort Rainey. Forever." Then, Mort pressed his lips against yours again, only this time, the kiss was more passionate. You kissed him back as you ran your fingers through his messy hair.