P R O L O G U E

Washington,D.C
June 2011, 5:45am

"Listen, this will be tough. Probably the toughest, most strenuous thing you've ever endured." I looked at the phone that rested on the sink as my dad's voice through the other end. He was normally a serious guy but this.. I've never heard him like this. "But I promise you that it will all be worth it, okay? You will make a lifelong list of brothers who will be there for you through college, through your hardships, and even at your wedding."

Cracking a smile, I raised my eyes up and stared at my reflection in the mirror. I probably looked like  a damn baby to many of the people outside.It was one of the main reasons for the nicknames I gained in high school. Pretty Ricky, Asap Rocky, Baby Face. I could go on for days. Usually I was all for it but tonight.. tonight I knew I'd want to look anything but.

"So, Y/n." I looked back at the phone as he muttered three words I knew I'd hear a of over the next six weeks. "State your motto."

"First of All, Servants of All, We Shall Transcend All."

"Again." He said softly but underlying telling me to be louder.

"First of All, Servants of All, We Shall Transcend All!"

I raised my head, staring at myself as he said 'again' once more. "First of All, Servants of All, We Shall Transcend All!"

Then, I heard a loud bang on the door. "Go earn your spot, Y/n." My dad said, hanging up just as my door flew open and three guys, who were now my big brothers, walked in with mean mugs.

"You in here getting some special practice in, huh?" I stood up straight, my arms by my side as they crowded around me. "That was a question, Mutt."

"No Big Brother, I was-" I took in a deep breath, folding slightly when I felt his fist connect with my stomach but, like clock work, I raised back up with my jaw clenched. "No Big Brother."

The others then came up, grabbing me by the back of my black hoodie before dragging me out of the bathroom to the living room where five other pledges stood. "Fall in line." I quickly slid into the line and stared straight ahead. "I don't think nan one of ya'll deserve to be in here. Not four eyes, not midget.." He then stepped in front of me with a glare. "And certainly not Dyke over here."

I kept my eyes off of him. "Nah, that's not a Dyke, she got a dick. That's that tranny pledge. She a legacy."

"Oh a legacy?" My eyesight was then blocked by the lead Big Brother who we called the Dean. He was the one who I had to give the upmost respect to. As he stood in front of me, smirking and looking me up and down. I dropped my head accidentally when he stepped on my foot which made his hand grip my chin, yanking my head back up. "You think you gon get some special treatment 'cause you a legacy huh?"

"No Big Brother!" I yelled out and he grabbed the front of my hoodie, yanking me forward.

He was seething in my face, so much that I expected smoke to fall from his nose like some dragon. But instead of breathing fire, he breathed out a command. "If I wanted to hear a little bitch scream, I would be fucking a Zeta. Now get on your goddamn knees."

I quickly dropped, keeping my eyes forward as I heard rustling before a set of clippers sounded. "Legacy wants to fuck with the boys.. so she will be like all of us." I closed my eyes when I felt my hair gripped, then the cold metal running over my scalp.

I tried to remember my dads words. I tried to remember that this was only six weeks of my entire college career.. I had to remember that this is what I dreamed of since freshman year in high school. I wanted to be an Alpha Phi Alpha. Nothing would stop that.