PT.2 C H A P T E R THIRTY- ONE

Atlanta, Georgia.
December 24th

"Come on, lil homie." I said, smirking as I dribbled the basketball with my eyes on Jay. "Don't let me pull up on you son-" He rushed forward but I already lifted off the ground and sunk a three. "He let me pull up on him- damn son."

He huffed and threw the ball back at me, nearly taking my head off if I didn't have quick reflexes. "Someone's mad?" I questioned and held the ball as he clenched his jaw. "And it's not 'cause I'm whopping your ass. You thinking about Skylar again?"

"What do you think?" He spat out and I raised my eyebrows at his aggressive tone. But I also didn't take it personal, I knew he was hurting. I watched as he shook his head angrily and started to go off. "You do your best for someone, you give them all your love and fucking appreciation and out here you labeled as a lame, a fucking dub you know? If I'm not fucking a hundred bitches I'm lame but I didn't care and she gon' go out here jumping on the first hood dick that treat like shit!"

I sighed as he grabbed the beanie off of his head and threw it. "Fuck her!" I watched his eyes start to blink quickly so I dropped the ball and walked forward before letting him fall into my arms. "How come she don't want me, Y/nn?"

How was I suppose to answer that? "She's.. she's not your person, alright?" I rubbed his back as he groaned deeply and I knew that feeling all too well. That pain that you felt in your chest, the pain that had you wanting to scream but knew it would still be there.

I tried to remember what I wanted when Robyn and I took a break.. at the time words didn't seem like they would help. So I just hugged him and said what I wanted to hear. "It's gonna get better, I promise you that." I pulled back and held his face, my eyes meeting his. "This isn't gonna last forever, you hear me?"

He nodded and wiped his face with the back of his hand. "I thought she was my forever, you know?"

"I know." I mumbled and hugged him again. "Some people come as chapters, not the book. Just recognize that this wasn't you. I know you Jayden and I know your heart. Don't let this affect your character." With a huff, he pulled back and lifted his shirt to wipe his face.

"I tried to be like you was..." he started and laughed under his breath. "I went to a party and I met a girl.."

I frowned. "Don't tell me you're hoeing out, Jay. You're better than me. That's why I look up to you."

"I know." He dropped down on the bench behind him and looked down at the ground. "I got mad drunk and took her to a room. I was about but when she wanted more.. I couldn't. I just left. Even with Sky breaking up with me, I couldn't fuck around."

Damn.. tell me about it.

I sat beside him and watched as he rocked to himself with his head shaking. "That's 'cause it's not you, it never has been. I don't want you going down the same path I did. You can have fun.. just don't do it to get away from your emotions."

"I know." He said again and looked over at me with a small frown. "I watched you do it and I know it only made things worse, huh?" I nodded affirmatively. "Yeah.. I couldn't do it even if I wanted to."

We sat in silence for a bit as I rolled the ball forwards and backwards with my feet. "I dropped out of college." My head snapped up, my eyes wide at his words. "I quit football um.. yeah I quit."