PT.2 C H A P T E R FORTY-FOUR

I swear I was dreaming about sleeping on a cloud with bottles of Hennessy on my lap. And fries, lots of fries.

Then the cloud just evaporated and I was plummeting to the ground with the sound of a high pitched scream.

"Shit."

I jolted awake and that's when the cries became more apparent. The twins were awake.. for the fourth time tonight. I sighed and looked over at Rob who looked like she was about to cry herself as she raised up.

We usually took turns, me waking up the last time, but she looked so stressed and tired that I took one for the team. "I got it." I mumbled and pushed myself into a sitting position. I ran my hands down my face and pushed the covers off of my legs.

"You went last time." She said and I nodded, steadily getting up. "Are you sure?"

I nodded again and leaned over to cup her face. "Get some sleep baby." I pecked her lips and backed away before leaving the room, following the noise.

We were officially seven days in. Seven days of sleeping three hours at most. I knew it'd be different since I found out about Dahlia at four months instead of from scratch. But sheesh, it was an entirely different level.

Pushing the door open, I saw it was Remi making a fuss, Anani still sound asleep. I leaned over into the crib and rubbed my eyes before leaning down and picking him up.

"C'mon little man." I whispered and bounced around the room to attempt to get him to sleep again. I knew he wasn't wet, I just changed him an hour ago. So he had to either be hungry or just cranky.

He continued screaming into my ear so I walked out of the room and dragged my feet tiresomely down the hardboard steps. "Are you hungry?" I rocked him side to side and grabbed the prepped bottle from the fridge to heat up. I made sure to test the temperature of my wrist before raising it to his lips and, thank the heavens, he fell silent.

As I went to sit down..

Another cry.

I dropped my head and sighed before raising up and going back up the stairs to the room, Anani now crying her eyes out. Twins right? What a joy.

I did the same thing, rocked her in my free arm which didn't work, then I went downstairs and had to maneuver around the kitchen with nothing but my mouth free and two fingers free.

Somehow, I managed.

I made it back to the living room and put them on the large cushion mat that was already laid out and held the bottles.

Finally.. silence.

My head hung slightly as I kept feeding them until the bottles were gone, to which I replaced with a pacifier. As much as I wanted to just take my ass to sleep, I knew they needed to be burped or they'd end up crying again in thirty minutes because of gas.

So, I moved back to the couch and laid against the arm rest, my left leg stretched across the couch with my right hanging over the edge. I left the space between my legs to lay Anani down while I held Remi on my shoulder. Usually it would be a lot easier to do with Robyn's help but I knew she needed to sleep.

Her body and energy needed to heal so.. I had to figure this shit out on my own.

I used my left hand to pat Remi's back, my right patting Anani's. Okay.. I could do this. I scooter down and laid down myself and rested my head on the arm rest. I got this.