PT.3 C H A P T E R FOURTEEN

No Gatorade. No yellow envelope. No medicine.

I looked around the room groggily before pushing off of the bed, my feet taking me into the living room. Not even a coat.

So, it was a fever dream? A hallucination? I knew it was too good to be true.. she said everything I wanted to hear.

I began to feel frustrated. Frustrated that it wasn't real, frustrated that I couldn't just have my life back. Life before the ignoring and distance and cheating. I took it for granted.. I didn't realize how good I had it.

I should've..

I huffed and leaned against the counter, the medicine I took giving me enough energy to not want to pass out but still leaving me with a tight chest. That and heartbreak didn't mix well at all.

Why couldn't I just.. why couldn't I wake up and this all have been a bad dream? A warning even. I wouldn't make the same mistakes twice.

I grabbed the first thing I saw and threw it to the ground in frustration and an angry fit of.. childishness. "Fuck." I groaned and dropped onto the stool, my head in my hands.

Where was that zen when I needed it, huh?

"I did not clean up this house just for you to be throwing shit around." My head popped up, shock overcoming me when the kitchen sliding door opened. Robyn. She shook her head at the glass vase on the carpeted floor.

"Wait." I mumbled and looked down to see her carrying my trash can before sitting it back in the kitchen, then moving to clean up the glass shards. "You didn't.." Her eyes raised and I felt my shoulders drop the tension in them, my eyes tearing up for some reason. "It was real?"

"What're you talking about?" She asked softly and pulled her mask up before walking over to me. "Was what real?"

I chuckled weakly and wiped my eyes as I cleared my throat. "I thought I dreamt you came." Her furrowed eyebrows relaxed, smile lines pulling at the corner of her eyes. "It wasn't a fever dream.."

"No." She whispered and raised her hand to cup my face. "I'm here, baby." I titled my head into her palm and felt the instant relief in my chest at her words. She was here. "You've been in and out of it since the test. They said they'll let us know within forty eight hours so.."

"You'll get sick too." I said, remembering the virus and how close she's been. "What if-"

"I'll be fine." She said and tapped my cheek before stepping back and moving through the kitchen again with a dustpan and broom. "No one else is gonna care for you like me, and I'll get tested if the time comes. So, relax, nothing you say can make me leave."

"What about the kids?" She glanced over her shoulder at me. "You should be with them."

"It takes five to fourteen days to catch covid, your test comes back in two. I can go back and forth if I need to." I shook my head with a smile as she turned back around.

She's always been stubborn.. "So if you're staying anyways," She hummed when I lifted off of the stool and moved over to the couch. "I kinda miss your cuddles.."

A soft laugh left her lips before she turned and stared at me for the longest moment. I wiggled my eyebrows and watched her set the dustpan down, her feet taking two steps in my direction. Then the smile in her eyes faded as she cleared her throat and turned back around. "Baby steps, Y/nn." She mumbled.

I frowned but nodded in understanding. "Baby steps." I repeated lowly. I had to remember what I did. Though she promised a future for us, and promised to fight, she probably still saw me through those cracked lenses. I wasn't the Y/n she use to know. The loyal, faithful one. She saw Y/n, the one that cheated on her with the girl I swore would never cause a problem.