49

"Zoe? You good?" Josh said, again, after I zoned out of the conversation yet again.
"Yeah sorry"
"Is this about earlier with Nick? You've been acting weird ever since"
"No I think I'm just tired" I smiled. "I'm good I swear"
"If you say so. Anyways. This grey or this one?"
"That one" I pointed to the paint swatch on the left.
We were painting the living room a different color, and in Jaden and Josh fashion, we're painting it at 3am on a Monday night.

As were all painting our corner of the room, my phone buzzed in my pocket.
I laid my paint roller down and picked my phone up, doing a double take at the contact who sent me a message.
It can't be.
Nick
Did you get my letter?
Me
Yeah
Nick
Come outside.

I stared at my phone for a second, and against my better judgement, I walked outside.
"Where are you going?" Jaden asked.
"My phone is dying and I think I left my charger in the car, be right back"
Jaden nodded, and went back to painting.

I saw headlights beaming on the sidewalk outside the house. I approached his car and opened the passenger door, sitting down.
"What are you doing here at 3am?" I immediately asked.
Nick didn't answer me, but instead grabbed my face passionately kissing me.
I pushed him away.
"What the fuck?" I yelled.
"Zoey I'm sorry. I regret everything. I only broke up with you because I thought I needed to do the right thing with Amelie. I knew it was my baby, I just knew it and I couldn't bring you into that shit. I'm sorry I kissed you like that but I miss you so much. Being with Amelie is torture. She's controlling, manipulative, and batshit crazy and it scared me to think about what she might do if I stayed with you."

"Nick."

"Zoey, please. I just need to be in your presence right now."

"No, Nick. I can't let you keep doing this to me. I'm over you and I'm happy with my life right now. Please don't try to ruin it. It sounds like you're just scared of your future right now and I understand it, I do. I truly hope you and Amelie are happy. You're going to be a great dad. Goodbye, Nick."

Without giving him any time to answer, I got out of the car leaving him behind. I walked back in the house, passing Jaden and Josh silently, and laid in my bed. I laid there letting the tears stream down my face. All emotions I swore I didn't have came flooding back. I felt the pain of my heart shattering as I silently wept into my pillow, coming to a realization.

I do love him.