100

5 years later....

"Yes I just landed mom, I'm about to get my rental car and then I'll come straight to your office." I said, pulling my luggage right behind me.
"Can you stop and get me a coffee on your way? The coffee shop is right around the corner from my office."
"Yes, see you soon"

I hung up the phone and after waiting for awhile, I was given the keys to my rental.
The whole ride to the coffee shop, I had flashbacks from the last five years. They were definitely an amazing five years. I spent my weeks working at a vacation resort, teaching kids how to surf. I loved every minute of it, honestly. And that time Jaden and Josh came to visit last year, that was so much fun. I taught them how to surf and how I lived off the land mostly. But as much fun as they were, I was frequently lonely. I never had much time or interest for dating, so technically I never moved on. To be fair, I was over Nick completely. I actually hadn't thought about him in such a long time, not since the divorce was final, but being back in LA definitely makes me think of him.
Before I knew it, I was in front of the coffee shop. I got lucky and there was a parking spot right in front, so I parked and went in to order our coffees.

I thanked the barista after I paid, standing off to the side as I waited.
I was scrolling through my phone, about to text Jaden when I felt a tap on my shoulder.
"Is that you, Zoey?"
"Wait, Ryland?" I perked up. "Oh my god, how are you?" I smiled as I quickly hugged him, or so I tried. He held on for a moment too long, squeezing me tight.
"I've been okay, better yet what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in Hawaii?!"
"Yeah.. about that. I'm back" I softly smiled.
"No way? Why?" He asked.
"I got a better job offer here in LA surprisingly, so I retired the surf board and I'm back for good"
"Wow" He nervously laughed.
"Um... how's everyone?"
"You mean, Nick? He's good. You know how him and his wife just had a baby, right?"
"Yeah, Sherry told me. I'm happy for him" I nodded.
"Yeah... about a year after you left, most of us went our separate ways. I actually just closed on a house of my own a couple weeks ago" He nervously scratched the back of his head. "I'm really glad you're back, Zoe."
"Lattes for Zoey?!" A barista yelled.
"I guess that's my cue" I shrugged, backing away toward the barista calling me name.
"Hey uh... would you maybe want to sit with me for a minute? Catch up a little?" He asked.
"I actually have to get this coffee up to my mom at her office" I said, frowning a bit. "But you can join me, if you like? Maybe we could get dinner after?"
"I would like that. A lot" He smiled, gesturing for me to walk in front of him, soon opening the door for me.
He's definitely become a gentleman since the last I had seen him.
I could get used to this.
Maybe I would.
;)

10 years later...
"Nick!! Hurry and grab the last ornament!!" I yelled from the living room.
"Coming!" He yelled back.
He placed the last ornament on the tree. An ornament in memory of my mom, who passed away from a heart attack two years ago.
I smiled as I gazed at the ornament, two familiar arms wrapping around my round, pregnant belly.
"She's smiling down on us right now, I promise"
"I know. I love you"
"I love you more my love." Ryland smiled, playing with my wedding ring.
"Can we pweaseeee have got chocolate now Aunt Zoey?" Claire pouted.
"Yes! Hot chocolate time!" I exclaimed, picking her up and running to the kitchen with her giggling along the way.
I would've never guessed my life would turn out this way, but man, I have no complaints.

Everything fell right into it's perfect place. Right at the perfect time.

...finished my favorite book just in time for my birthday 🥰
i loved every second of writing this book and i hope you guys loved it just as much as i did! be on the look out for my next one soon ❤️

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR 200k READS!!!!!🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰❤️❤️❤️❤️