75

"Nick I don't want to talk about this." His mom refused, for the third time. "I'm not talking about this"
"Mom I deserve to know."
"That's enough. I'm done talking about it" She threw her hands up.
"Just fucking tell me!" Nick yelled.
"You cannot and will not speak to me that way, Nick Austin."
Nick decided to throw a tantrum out of frustration and run out of the apartment.
I got up to go follow him but his mom stopped me.
"Just give him a second, Zoe."
"He needs someone right now. His whole world is crashing down and he needs me."
"The truth is going to kill him."
"He still deserves to know. I deserve to know. Tell him the truth, please. I'm begging."
She sighed, letting out her long deep breath.
"Go get him."
I nodded, running out of the apartment and going down the elevator. Luckily Nick was sitting in the lobby.
"Babe, lets go." He looked up, holding his hand out for me to take.
"She agreed to talk. Come with me before she changes her mind."
"Shes never going to tell me, Zoey."
"Nick get your ass up right now and let's go. You're not giving up- I'm not letting you."
He looked at me and realized I wasn't joking, and got up and followed closely behind me. We went back up the elevator and were eventually outside her apartment door yet again.
I grabbed his hand and smiled up at him and mouthed 'i love you' which made him smile back.
We went back in and his mom was sitting in the same spot waiting on us.
"Talk." He said as he sat down.
"Nick, your dad is dead."
"What? Then who the fuck is 'Craig'?"
"His brother."
"Huh?" I asked.
"Your father's name was Sean, Craig's brother. Yes I was seeing Craig for a short time, but it was toxic. He was manipulative and abusive both physically and mentally. Sean and Craig were roommates so Sean often heard or saw things that weren't intended for anyone else to see. I was embarrassed of the situation so I didn't tell anyone, often leaving Sean to listen to me vent or even help me cover my bruises. Over time, while Craig was out or at work, Sean and I fell in love or whatever we thought love was at the time. After I found out I was pregnant, the plan was for me to leave Craig and stay at Zoey's mom's house for a couple of days until Sean could figure out where we were running away to except the night we were supposed to leave he disappeared. No calls, emails, nothing. No one ever heard from him again until they found his body a year later in the lake. I always had an idea of who did it but the police never looked into it. I never wanted you to know the truth because I didn't want you to deal with anymore trauma. I did it to protect you, honey."
Nick's eyes were teary as were mine. I let him soak it all in for a moment, anticipating his next words.
"Nick, Zoey, how did you find out about Craig??"
"My mom's dating him?"
"CRAIG IS THE MAN YOUR MOM MOVED IN WITH?"
"...Yes?" Nick said.
"Get up now we have to go get her. Zoey, she is not safe there. Let's go" She demanded, and we were confused for a moment until her story soaked in, realizing my mom was in the same house as that psycho.