86

"So, let me get this straight." Ryland said. "The baby Amelie said was Nick's was actually Noah's, your ex, the one who cheated on you. And now they're together?"
"Yup." I said.
"And they didn't think to tell... I don't know, anyone? He dated you knowing that he had a whole ass child. How did he hide that?"
"I don't know but can we stop talking about them? My head spins every time you say Amelie." Nick groaned.
"Sorry bub" I sympathetically smiled.
"Well I'm going to hang with everyone, see you guys later?" Ryland said.
"You're going to spill the tea aren't you?"
"Yep." He said, holding up a peace sign, laughing.
I rolled my eyes at him and cuddled up to Nick.
"Hey" I looked up at him.
"What?"
"I love you" I smiled.
"I love you too baby" He kissed my forehead, pulling me closer.
Right as I dozed off to sleep, my phone rang.
My eyes widened and I showed it to Nick, revealing the phone call I least expected.
"Mom?"
"Zoey, honey, something has happened"
"What's going on?"
"Can you come get me, please. I am at the LAPD."
"Wait- why? Why are you calling me all of a sudden?"
"I have to go. Please hurry honey"
I hung up.
"What did she say?" Nick asked.
"She's at the police station. She asked me to come pick her up?"
"Wait, why?"
"I have no idea.."
I got up from the bed, grabbing my purse and headed toward my car. Nick followed closely behind in silence, which was probably for the best right now- my mind was racing.
He grabbed my keys from my hand and insisted on driving. I guess he could tell I was panicked from my facial expressions.
We drove in silence with Nick's hand on my thigh.
"Zoey, baby, you're shaking." He worryingly looked over at me. "I'm sure everything's fine. Please breathe"
I inhaled, holding my breath for a moment before sighing, releasing it.
Next thing I knew, we were parked outside of the police station.
We walked in and told the person at the front desk why we were here and he led us into an office where my mom was sitting along with an officer behind the desk.
"Mom what's going on?" I asked. "Why do you have so many bruises?"
"Are you Zoey?" The officer asked.
"Yes I am"
"Have a seat, ma'am. Are you comfortable with him staying?" He asked, referring to Nick.
"Yes, that's my husband" I said, signaling for him to sit on the other side of my mom.
"Ma'am, your stepfather tried to kill your mother tonight. Her injuries are minor but she is traumatized."
"Wait- what? What happened?" I gasped in horror, tears pricking my eyes. She might not have been a part of my life anymore, but I didn't want to lose her completely.
"Your mother was about to get away from his attack, finding a kitchen knife, and ultimately bringing him to the end of his life."
I looked over at my mom who was shakily crying. I reached over to hug her and she flinched. Jesus, this man did a number on her.
When she realized that I wasn't going to hurt her, she wrapped her arms around my body and tightly squeezed me.
"I'm so sorry mom" I sobbed. "I shouldn't have left you with him"
"Please don't blame yourself Zoey" She cried with me. "I'm just glad you're here now"
Things calmed down a little after a moment.
The officer said they already had her statement and that she was free to go.
She refused to go back to her 'home', so we took her to the only place we knew to. Nick's mom's house.
"Hey guys, uh- what's going on?" She asked, not seeing my mom yet. Her face dropped when she laid eyes on my mom.
Her body bruised on every visible part of her body. Her hair a tangled mess, eyes puffy from crying, and broken. My heart shattered at the sight.

"Of course you're staying here with me." Nick's mom said.
"And we'll have your things taken from that house and brought here. I don't want you to have to worry about a single thing" I reassured.
"Zoey, can I ask you something?" My mom sniffled.
"Sure" I nodded.
"When did you guys get married?"
"A little over a month ago" Nick said.
His mom smiled at the two of us.
"I'm sorry I wasn't there...." My mom frowned.
"Don't worry mom, we didn't have a wedding." I added, along with the entire story of our drunken 'wedding'.
That was the first time my mom had cracked a smile all night.
"I would expect nothing less from the two of you" She softly smiled. "I love the both of you"
"I love you so much ma" I tearfully smiled.
"Love you" Nick added.
"We're going to head home unless you need anything else." I said, hugging my mom. "We'll be back first thing in the morning"
We all said our goodbyes and we start our journey back home.

"What a fucking night" I sighed, laying down in bed.
"Tell me about it" Nick groaned from beside me.