87

"Why is everyone in here and why so early?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Everyone yelled.
I smiled, I completely forgot about my birthday with everything going on, especially after the other night.
"Happy Birthday baby" Nick walked closer, kissing me and handing me a large bag.
"You didn't have to get me anything" I scrunched my nose.
"It's not just from me, it's from everyone" He reassured.
I nodded and began unwrapping the box. Once I got the wrapping paper off, I gasped.
"No way, you guys are taking this bag it's way too much" I pushed it away.
"We insist" Thomas assured.
I reluctantly opened the big box labeled "Gucci" and my stomach dropped when I realized what was inside.
"You guys, this is perfect" I grinned. "Thank you sooo much!!! I already know you guys spent way too much but I love it"
They all said you're welcome and a few hugged me. After a few minutes of talking, everyone eventually left except Nick and Ryland.
"So, what about me taking you to dinner so you can show off that new purse?" Nick asked.
"That sounds amazing but you know I need to go check on mom" I sighed.
"How about this... We go see your mom here soon, and then we can do a late dinner?"
"Sounds good" I nodded.
"And if it makes you feel better, I can go hang with her while you're at dinner" Ryland said.
"Thanks Ry" I warmly smiled. "I just get worried about her in her new place alone sometimes"
"Okay we'll leave and let you get ready" Nick said. "I love you b"
"Love you more"

I did the usual, shower, skincare, and putting something simple on. I skipped makeup and opted for throwing my hair in braids because I knew I'd come back later and get ready for dinner.
I met Nick in the living room and we drove to my mom's new apartment.
It was in the same building as Nick's mom but she works a lot so my mom was alone a lot. So, I tried to go see her as much as possible- but mostly because I was trying to make up for lost time.
Since her and Craig were already married and he had no children, she inherited all his belongings and money. So basically, my mom was rich. Since she dealt with his abuse, I would say it was very deserved.
We walked through the lobby and up to her apartment.
"There's the birthday girl!" She smiled, opening the door for us and giving me a quick hug.
"How is everything?" I asked, sitting down on her couch.
"I'm good" She said. "The same as I was twelve hours ago when you were last here"
"I know, I know. I just worry about you"
"Don't worry about me, honey. I want you to enjoy the married life. Nick told me you guys might go to dinner tonight, so I have a little birthday surprise." She proudly grinned.
"Oh gosh, what?" I curiously asked.
"I have a makeup artist coming and someone to do your hair. And then I have a stylist coming to bring some dress options"
"Mom you don't have to do that! That sounds expensive"
"What's the point of having all this money if I can't spend it?" She laughed.
After some convincing, I let in.
Eventually Nick decided to go back home to get ready for dinner and I stayed at mom's to get pampered.

The door bell rang and I went to open it, revealing 5 people here to get me ready.
"You got someone to do my nails too?" I laughed.
"Only the best for my girl" My mom proudly said.
After two hours, my hair, nails, and makeup were done and perfected. I took a look in the mirror and wow. I have never looked better.
"Thank you guys so much, this is amazing" I smiled, thanking all of them and helping them carry their stuff out.
After they left, I sat down on the couch as I still had two hours before dinner.
"Hey Zoe?" My mom asked, sitting down next to me with her hands behind her back.
"What's up?"
"I lied. There's another surprise" She said, handing me an envelope.
"What's this?" I asked, taking it from her hand.
"Just open it"
I opened the envelope that had my name on it, revealing a folded up handwritten letter. It read:

To my wife,

Over the last month I'm sure you have noticed I have been leaving at odd times for various errands and I know you were always curious. The truth is that I've been planning our wedding, the wedding you deserved from the beginning.
Don't panic- Every detail is taken care of and you will find your dress in your mom's closet.
I'll see you in two hours, my love.

-Nick

"Is this a joke?"
"Not at all." My mom tearfully smiled.
"I- I'm speechless."
"That boy would go to the ends of the Earth to make you happy and I couldn't have picked someone better for you, honey. And I'm so glad I'm here to be apart of your special day"
I started to tear up.
"Oh no no no, you will not cry that makeup off." My mom insisted. "Now let's go get that beautiful dress on and go get you married... again."