76

I angrily tried to open the front door, turning my key and my anxiety rising.
"It's not working!!!" I yelled. "Mom!"
"Why isn't your key working?" Nick asked.
"I don't know. It worked the other day"
"Move, let me try mine" Nick dug his key out of his pocket and put it in the lock, but it didn't work either. Just like I knew it wouldn't.
We banged on the door desperately, hoping someone would fucking open the door.
After five or so minutes, my mom opened the door confused.
"Mom! Is Craig here?"
"No? He's at work. Why didn't you use your key? I was in my bedroom"
"My key didn't work. You need to come with us now"
"Wait why?"
"Craig isn't Nick's dad. He's dangerous and we need to leave before he gets home"
"How do you know this?"
"Craig's brother Sean is Nick's father. That was before he was mysteriously murdered the night before we were supposed to run away together"
"I don't believe this. I don't have time for these games. Craig warned me of this exact situation and I'm not having it for a moment."
"Mom... please come with us. You have to believe me, I wouldn't lie to you"
"No, Zoey. This is just an extravagant ploy to break Craig & I up so you and Nick can happily be together. I have news honey, we're engaged." She held her hand up, revealing a large diamond on her ring finger.
"Mom...."
"I think it's best if all three of you go home."
"Mom" I frowned, reaching for her hand, but she swatted it away.
"Good bye Zoey" She shut the door right in my face.
Tears streamed down my face. Nick and his mom both grabbed one of my hands, leading my back to the car.
As Nick drove his mom back home, I sat in the passenger seat in silence.
"Zoey, baby, we're going to figure this out."
"I feel like I just lost my mom"
"No, honey, you didn't. She'll come around, I promise. She's stuck in the same trance I was a very long time ago but I promise she'll come out of it soon enough." Nick's mom reassured, softly patting my back from the backseat.
We dropped Nick's mom off at her apartment and said our good byes.
I got back in the car with Nick and we started our way home.
Nick's hand found its way to my thigh.
"I love you"
"I love you too Nick"
"Can you smile? Please"
"Maybe later" I frowned.
He squeezed my thigh and then started tickling me, causing me to laugh finally.
"There's my girl" He smiled and I softly smiled back.
"There's a bright side to this"
"What could possibly be bright about my mom possibly being abused?"
"Maybe this isn't the time for my joke then." He cringed. "I mean like at least we won't be step-siblings."
I pursed my lips and smirked, holding back my laughter. "Can you imagine having to break up because our parents are getting married?"
"Nah, I would've ruined the marriage before it even happened."
I giggled. "And that's one of the reasons I love you"

We made it back home and filled Ryland in on the details, and then slowly everyone else because they were interested. Our lives sounded like a shitty lifetime movie plot right now and I hated every minute of it. As much as I loved my life at the Hype House, I still needed my mom and now I feel like she has shut me out completely.
Nick was the only one holding me together at this point and as much as I hate depending on another person for my happiness, he truly was the only sunshine in my life at the moment.
I found comfort in his arms and slowly drifted off to sleep, leaving my thoughts for the next morning.

I'm SO sorry I didn't update yesterday!! I had an incredibly busy week at work but I'm off this weekend so be ready for multiple updates a day for the next couple days!! 🙌🏻 I love you all so much!!!!