The Last Stand Pt. 3

~~~Sam Holt POV~~~

The Galra had come. The war had finally arrived on Earth. The alarms blared loudly as the large Galra ships came into view.

"All personnel, proceed to your command stations immediately." A man shouted over the P.A. system.

"Commander, allow me to come with you." Lellal said.

I didn't have any time to refuse Lellal and allowed him to come with me to the main command center along with his father.

Everything was leaning towards chaos as the Galra ships began their attack. Everyone in the Garrison were in a raging panic. We didn't expect the Galra to make their move so quickly.

People were running up and down the halls in their panic, not sure how they would be able to prepare in time. But I knew we had to win this and stayed calm. I looked behind me at Cires and Lellal who kept up with me and saw that they were calm yet determined. They were more ready than any of us to face this war.

I ran to the command center where most of the chaos was heading.

"Power the surface-to-air blasters." We heard Admiral Sanda order, "Dispatch the first wave of Garrison fighters. Prep the next wave immediately."

"Wait!" I said, grabbing the Admiral's attention, "We can't use the standard defenses."

Admiral Sanda turned around to face us.

"We're going to hit those aliens with hundreds of thousands of pounds of thermobaric missiles and finish then off with the best pilots the world has to offer." She said, then turned her attention towards Lellal and his father.

"What are civilians doing here?" She angrily, "They should be in their quarters."

"Ma'am, pardon us but we cannot sit around do nothing while you all fight. It's not in our nature." Lellal said.

"I don't care. You will return to your quarters and we are attacking the aliens at once." Admiral Sanda said, not even considering the fact that these attacks will cost even more lives than we might predict.

"They don't stand a chance out there. We need to scramble the MFE fighters." I said, trying to reason with the Admiral.

"The pilots of the MFEs are just cadets."

"So are the pilots of Voltron."

"Admiral, please, you do not understand what the Galra are capable of." Cires said, "With what my daughter has explained to me before she left us again, they are ruthlesd and far superior than your technology."

"My father is right. The Galra don't feel the same compassion as others. They don't care if they lose their own, if it means winning the battle." Lellal added. I had heard of the Galra even sacrificing their own men to win, but hearing it over and over again just made me feel sick to my stomach.

Admiral Sanda didn't listen to any of us.

"Launch base defenses according to protocol." She turned and ordered Commander Iverson, but the commander did nothing.

"Commander!" She said more firmly

Iverson looked up at the Admiral, "I know you have wartime authorization, but maybe we should listen to--"

"That's an order!" She interrupted him. "We can't risk the planet on untested military weaponry piloted by cadets."

Commander Iverson sighed, walked over to the control board and pressed a button.

"This is Commander Iverson. Initiate base defense protocol, Beta-Five." He said, "I repeat, initiate base defense protocol, Beta-Five."

"You heard the man. We're up." I heard Lieutenant Adam say through the speakers as the ships prepared to take flight. My fists trembled in anger at my warnings being ignored.