Trial By Fire

~~~~Shiro~~~~

I stood in the command center, fear in my eyes after seeing what just happened. Voltron was shot down and now we lost all contact with them. My heart jumped into my throat at the thought of my sister going missing.

"Where did those shots come from?" Sam asked.

"The Zaiforge cannons." Coran said, "Sendak was ready for the attack the entire time. How?"

"Where is Amdiral Sanda?" Sam asked.

"Sir, she's been gone since our mission breifing." One of the crew members answered.

All of a sudden, the doors behind us opened, Siofra running into the room out of breath and her face pale with sweat dripping from her brow.

"Where is my daughter?" She asked stomping up to me, "I felt her energy drop significantly after we heard a loud shot from the sky. Where is Saoirse?"

I couldn't give her an answer, since we didn't know if Saoirse and the others were all right. Just then, the rest of Saoirse's family ran into the room.

"Do you know what happened to Saoirse?" Lellal asked, just as frantic as the rest of his family.

I turned back to the screens, widely scanning the screens for any sign that the paladins were all right.

'Paladins, are you there?" I asked, "Paladins, do you copy? Keith? Saoirse? Anyone?"

"Saoirse! Answer us, are you there?" Lellal shouted.

"Answer us, Saoirse. Please!" Reilo added, but all we got was static in return to our pleas.

I turned to Sam as the communication lines were cut off.

"Commander Holt, what weapons do we have available?" I asked.

"Fusion cannons, but that fleet is out of range." He answered.

"What about the MFEs?"

"The mission depleted their power. They're charging now."

"Shiro, even with the MFEs, Sendak has an entire fleet." Coran pointed out.

"We have to get them back! Saoirse's energy has gone down so fast in so little time. She might be hurt!" Lellal said.

"My son is right, we have to do something." Cires added.

I looked down in thought, then looked back up at Sam, "What about the Atlas?"

"We've had zero success launching it." Sam said.

"Veronica, monitor the fleet. Let us know of any changes." I ordered.

"Yes, sir." Veronica said.

"Come on, let's get that ship off the ground." I turned towards Saoirse's family, "I might need your help with powering it. Siofra, Lellal, think you can help transfer and change energy in the Atlas?"

The two nodded. Siofra handed their youngest daughter to her husband and ran along side me and her oldest son to the Atlas.

As soon as we got to the Altlas, Commander Holt and Coran sat in their assigned seats typing away at their keyboards to try and get the ship airborne. Siofra and Lellal stood next to me, placing their hands on the console so they would be ready to help in any way they could.

"Anything?" I asked.

"Not yet." Coran said, "We can shut down all non-essential systems and use an external source to fire one engine."

"We tried that. It wasn't enough power." Sam said.

"What about crystals from the MFEs?" Lellal asked.