Rex's Fear

Rex came out of the shower and was wearing a pair of grey sweatpants with the numbers 7567 down the leg and no shirt. He plopped down on his bed and sat with his elbows on his knees with his hands dangling. He sighed heavily. Before Rex could even think about Cody, he felt someone sit behind him and a pair of cool hands on his shoulders, gently massaging them.

"You okay?" came Ahsoka's worried voice.

Rex smiled at the fact that Ahsoka was worried for him, but he didn't want to burden her with his problems, "I'm fine, Cyar'ika," he said.

"I know you must feel hopeless, sad, scared, and maybe even angry," she continued to massage the knots out of his shoulders and expertly worked her way down his back, "He's in good hands, Rex," she didn't want to say Cody would get better, because to be honest, she wasn't sure that he would.

"But what if he doesn't get better. What if he doesn't. Wh—" Rex's voice caught and he had to take a calming breath before the flood gates opened, "What if he doesn't make it because of my careless actions?" his voice was shaky.

"You can't blame yourself, besides, if for some reason he doesn't heal, then we'll get through it. Together. You were there for me when I went through my hardships, I'll be here for you," Ahsoka stopped massaging him and started to kiss each of the scars that peppered his back, hoping to relieve some of his stress.

Rex shook his head, "I should've listened to him. If I had, Cody wouldn't be in this situation."

Ahsoka was about to kiss a scar that was on his shoulder blade, but stopped about half an inch from his skin. Rex could feel her hot breath and it sent a warm shiver down his spine. She planted the kiss and wrapped her arms around his bare middle and hugged him tightly from behind, resting her forehead against his back. She let the hug say what words couldn't at that moment. I'm here, it said. We'll get through this.

-Later, after Rex and Ahsoka fell asleep together on the bed-

Rex was doing his best. He kept up a strong front for as long as he could, but in the dark, listening to Ahsoka's slow, regular breathing, he curled up facing the wall and let the tears absorb into the textured fabric of the blanket. Breathing was the hard part to control. He didn't want to sob and he didn't want to bother Ahsoka once again. He huddled into the blanket like he did as a cadet and kept as quite as he possibly could. He could quite contain one small hiccuping whimper. Then one more.

He felt a light touch on his shoulder and tensed up, but he then relaxed as Ahsoka carefully sat down next to him. Rex gave in and let all his fear and misery take control. His pride still wouldn't let him make too much noise, but he buried his face in the blanket and let the tears fall freely. Ahsoka gently rubbed Rex's back and started to hum a soft lullaby. She wasn't as good at singing as Rex was, but she sang well.

After a while, once Rex had quieted down, Ahsoka laid down and molded her body into his, assuming the position of the big spoon as people call it. Rex moved his hand overtop of of hers, and slowly caressed the back of her hand his his thumb. He fell asleep quickly, as his body was tired and worn down. Ahsoka sighed softly and let a few teardrops roll down her cheeks and absorbed into the pillow. She hated seeing Rex like this, especially when it's so bad he can't control his emotions. Please get better, Cody. She thought, Rex needs you... We all need you.