Find Me Again (Steve Rogers)

A/N: This is an ANGST warning. I've been feeling a lot of that lately, so I decided that I was gonna write something about it. Here we go. I haven't a clue what I was thinking or where I was going with this one, but I wrote it anyway.

Prompts: "You'll find me again." 'Don't go where I can't follow." 

I clench my eyes closed as a single tear slips away and rolls down my cheek, leaving a nearly invisible trail of moisture in its wake. I listened to the static cutting in and out from the other line; I was losing him and I knew it. "NO. No...Steve you cant do this. This is madness." I breathed, my voice hardly above a whisper. Static crackled on the other end for a moment before I was able to discern what he was saying. "y/n, darling. I've gotta put her in the water... there's no other choice." he responded, his voice trailing off as it was once again consumed by the static. I felt the anger growing and before I could stop myself, I was shouting at him. "Steven Grant Rogers. You promised me! You PROMISED that you wouldn't do anything stupid!" I screamed, slamming my fist down on the table beside me. I was only met with silence. "Steve, don't you dare. We can work this out! I'll get Howard, he'll be able to figure something out. Just- Just stay with me alright? Don't do this..." I pleaded with him, desperately hoping that I could find a way to bargain with him. I tried everything I could to stop him, but deep down I knew it was a fruitless effort. Steve was the most valiant man I had ever known, and I knew nothing would stand in his way of saving the world; not even me.

My tears were flowing freely by this point, I knew there was no way he would survive the landing. A million memories flashed against my closed eyes as I attempted to come to terms with what was about to happen; I was about to lose the love of my life. "Steve, please. I don't know how to be without you" I whispered, as I felt my heart breaking into more pieces than I ever thought possible. "Please, don't go where I can't follow Steve." I breathlessly choked out, the grief of being without him already beginning to consume me. "Please don't cry y/n. Be strong for me, ok? You'll find me again-" he was cut off as the line went dead. I fell to my knees in anguish, unable to keep myself upright as grief all but consumed me. "I promise I'll find you again," I whispered into the deadline as I sat collapsed on the ground, wallowing in the sorrow of my loss. 

***Three Years Later***

I took in the bright lights surrounding me as I studied Howard flitting around the laboratory. "You're sure about this?" he asked me quizzically as we stood facing each other. "Not at all, but I get the feeling it's the right choice," I admitted with a shrug of my shoulders. In the three years since we had lost Steve, Howard had managed to come up with a new super-soldier serum. When he approached me asking me if I would be the one to take it, I felt strongly compelled to agree. I had nothing left to lose. I walked around the lab, examining the various creations of Howards while I waited. I stopped in front of one that had caught my eye. "It's a cryogenic chamber," he explained as he noticed my curiosity. "How does it work?" I questioned as I ran a hand along with the device. "By exposing the body to subzero temperatures, we're able to slow the metabolism to its slowest possible rate, resulting in a hibernation-like state," he informed me and I nodded along, an idea forming in my head. "I'll tell you what Stark. I'll take your experimental super-soldier serum if you agree to put me in there afterward." I said, jerking my head towards the chamber. 

Howard's eyebrows shot up at the idea. "Why?" was all he was able to ask in his dumbfounded state. I chose my next words very carefully. "Because the world is safe right now. Steve stopped the war... People are safe. They don't need a super-soldier right now, but one day down the road they might." I pointed back at the chamber. "And according to what you just told me, that sounds like my best chance to still be around when that time comes." I watched as concern and curiosity battled for dominance in Howard's brain. After considering for a lengthy period of time, he finally agreed. The world may be stable for now, but neither of us had the slightest clue about what future threats our world may face. After the procedure, I took my place in the chamber. "Wake me up when the world needs me," I said, giving him a mock salute before he sealed the chamber. "He would be glad it was you." I heard Howard say on the other side before I drifted off to sleep.