SMAU: Sweet Melodies (Sam Wilson)

PROMPT: Every person has their own unique song that when they sing it, their soulmate can hear it in their head. This one is gonna be kind of different because the reader and Sam are friends, and kind of have feelings for each other but it's more their journey to figuring out that they're meant to be. (Bold means Sam is singing and italics is you singing)

In case any of you want to give them a listen while you read this one...

Sams song: Can I be Him by James Arthur

Readers Song: Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. 

I will never forget the first time that I heard his song in my head. I had been sitting on my couch, flipping through my newest collection of poetry that I had just picked up from the bookstore. The room was notably silent besides the sound of turning pages, and the sound of the breeze through the open window. My mind was blank as I took in the words on the page in front of me. And then I heard it, his voice cutting through the silence in my mind as he sang.

You walked into the room and now my heart has been stolen
You took me back in time to when I was unbroken
Now you're all I want

I dropped my book immediately as I listened to the melody that I could only hear in my head. His voice was rich and deep with an unmistakeably gentle edge to it and it captivated me immediately. I had never heard this song before, and the excitement of what this meant for me quickly overtook me. It was only three lines so far, but I could already tell that his song was beautiful, and I found myself hanging onto every word he sung. I was transfixed by him already and I knew nothing about him besides that his voice was incredible.

Getting up from my spot on the couch, I wandered out to my balcony. My smile was warm as I basked in the soft light of the sun, still completely in awe of what I had heard. I had waited so long for this moment, the time I would finally get to hear his voice in my head, even if it was only in song. Curiously, I started to sing softly to myself, knowing that it would reach him wherever he happened to be right now.

Alabama, Arkansas
I do love my ma and pa
Not that way that I do love you

I sang my song quietly to myself, not needing it to be loud for it to reach him. Although I was alone on my balcony, I didn't feel that I was. Even though he was likely a world away, I couldn't help but feel as if he was standing right beside me. I had just discovered him, and yet I already knew that when we found each other we would be incredible together.

I did the best to go about my life, but I constantly found myself distracted by the snippets of his song in my head. And when I couldn't hear him singing, my thoughts were consumed by the way his voice sounded: gentle and deep but sweet like honey. I was sitting at my desk trying and failing to get my overdue paperwork completed. I knew it was important but how could I focus on anything besides him? Especially when he sounded like an angel; his voice so familiar but unplaceable at the same time. And then there it was again, that now-familiar melody.

And I knew it from the very first moment
'Cause a light came on when I heard that song and I want you to sing it again

A wide smile graced my features as I listened to these new lines. My heart swelled with adoration as I repeated the lyrics in my head. From the sound of it, he had enjoyed my song and it was having a similar effect on him, much like his was having on me. My brain began to cycle through the possibilities of us; what he would be like, the life we might share together one day if we happened to find each other. "Earth to (y/n)" a voice trilled, snapping me out of my daydream. "Yeah what's up?" I replied, only half listening still. "Those reports don't file themselves you know." my co-worker said as she perched on the desk beside me. I rolled my eyes at her as I turned my eyes back to the screen, knowing it was in vain. "Are you daydreaming about the new counselor again?" she teased as she waggled her eyebrows seductively. I shook my head at her, "I already told you, I don't have a thing for him. We're just friends." she looked at me with disbelief "Suuure you don't. But he's sure into you." she said in a singsongy voice before deciding to leave me be once again.