Secret Romantic (Tony Stark)

**Edited and Revised on 01/25/21**

This imagine was requested by @chaosintertwined. I hope you like it!

Imagine: Tony is actually very romantic, he just hardly shows it. One day he does something surprisingly romantic that takes you by surprise.

It was already late in the day, you guessed by the light shining through your drawn curtains. And yet, you couldn't bring yourself to get out of bed. You had slept at Tony's last night, and although his bed wasn't particularly any more comfortable than your own, you always had the best sleep when you stayed over. Unfortunately for you though, Jarvis had begun insisting that you get out of bed. You had no plans for the day, so you didn't see why you had to get up. You had planned to spend the day watching movies in bed, and waiting for Tony to get home. It just felt like one of those days. But yet, Jarvis remained insistent. For a brief moment, you wondered if it was possible to shut him off, as he really was getting on your nerves. As Jarvis continued to insist you get up, you continued to argue, claiming you had nothing to do today, and so leaving bed was not in the books. After a while of arguing with you, Jarvis managed to inform you that a list of tasks had been left for you on the kitchen table and that you were to "dress nicely" for your day out. You were confused by this but decided to comply with it. After your shower, you selected a simple, but beautiful dress that wasn't quite formal, wasn't quite casual, and a pair of heels to go along with it. After fixing your hair and makeup, you went out to find your list. 

Sure enough, on the table, there was a folded piece of tony's stationery waiting for you. Curiosity was beginning to get to you, and you anxiously snatched the note and read what was written on the other side. 

My Dearest (y/n),
Good morning beautiful. I know the last few days have been hard for you. So I wanted to try and do something to make you feel better. We both know that I'm not usually good with this kind of stuff but I love you so much that I had to try. Make your way down to the bakery around the corner.
I love you so much, 
Tony XX

You pocketed Tony's list and made your way to the bakery like the note indicated that you should. When you pushed the door open, you were immediately greeted by Carolina the owner. She and you had become close over the course of your relationship with Tony. You were always picking up pastries or bagels when you spent the night at Tony's. "(y/n) gorgeous! I've been waiting on you! I have something for you, I'll be right back!" she said before disappearing into the back. When she returned, she was holding a small white box. Taped to the top of the box were a singular red rose and another note, written on Tony's signature stationery. You were happy to discover an assortment of your favorite pastries inside. When you went to question you, she said nothing, only ushered you out the door. You stood outside the shop fumbling for the note. You unfolded the paper to read your next note. It read, "I hope you like your pastries gorgeous. Now go to the one place in the city you could spend hours in. XX Tony," the note said in his perfect handwriting. "Of course, the library." you thought and made your way over. 

When you pushed the grand double doors open into the library, you stopped like always to admire the beautiful architecture. It was like something out of a novel, and one of the many reasons you loved it so much and could spend hours on end there. When you were done marveling for the day, you turned around, coming face to face with your favorite librarian who greeted you with a smile. She too was holding a package. Much like the other one, this one also had a single rose taped to it, and another note. The librarian handed you the box and walked away. Inside was a signed, limited edition copy of your favorite novel.  The note revealed your next set of instructions. "I hope you like your book, it wasn't easy to track down. Go to your favorite place to start the morning. XX Tony." You knew immediately that he was talking about the coffee shop a block away. It was a tad far from Tony's but the coffee was to die for, and you and Tony went there often in the mornings. 

When you reached the coffee shop, no one came forward to greet you this time. Instead, you spotted a single red rose, another folded note, and a to-go coffee cup sitting alone on a table near the back. You quickly observed that it was yours and Tony's favorite table to sit at, because of the view and the lighting. You snatched the note up, eager to read what this one said. " I got you your favorite, my love. Just how you like it. XX Tony." You were already exhausted from all of the runnings around but you knowing Tony, this wasn't even close to over yet.   For the rest of the day, you continued on Tony's wild goose chase all over the city. By 4:30, you had been to countless places, and now had a total of 11 red roses. You picked up the next note, hoping it would be the finale, but sighed when it appeared that Tony planned to continue on with this. "(y/n) I know you must be tired by now, but you're almost done, I promise. Head back to the tower. Make sure to check in with the receptionist."  When you got back, the receptionist was waiting for you, and handed you another rose, and a new note. "(y/n), hang in there, its worth it I promise. Head to the lab. XX Tony." You headed down to the lab eagerly, expecting to see Tony. Bruce was waiting for you instead. He didn't say a word, just handed you another note. You furrowed your brow as you realized this note had no rose to accompany it. 

Confused, you stepped out of the lab and opened the note. "Go to the place with your favorite view of New York and beyond. XX Tony." the note instructed you. You smiled a bit, immediately knowing that it was the penthouse balcony. From there you swore that you could see all of New York and beyond. Stepping out onto the balcony, you noticed a single note waiting for you on the table. You picked up the note and read it while taking a moment to admire your favorite view. " Hi, gorgeous. You're almost done congratulations. Go to the garage, take any car you like, and drive to the first programmed destination in the GPS. I'll be waiting for you there. XX Tony."  You strolled casually through the garage, wondering which car to pick. You went with a simple convertible, knowing the wind in your hair would feel so good right now. You drove for almost an hour, heading out of the city following the GPS directions. The car dinged 3 times at the end of a long, wooded driveway to inform you that you had arrived at your destination. You couldn't help but be in awe as you drove up the winding driveway. Fairy lights and candles illuminated the path all the way up to a gorgeous cabin. You parked the car in front of the dark cabin and realized that the candles had begun to make a path behind the house. You followed them, all the way down to a hidden, private beach. You noticed a single white rose laying in the sand in front of the lake with no note insight.  

Confused by this rose, you stood staring out across the water wondering what you were doing here, so far outside the city. "I bet you're wondering why it's white." You heard Tony's voice pipe up from behind you. You were so relieved to have finally found him, your heart swelled. You turned around to face him and were met with him in a dashing outfit, illuminated by candlelight and looking at you with so much love in his eyes. He seemed nervous- hesitant to explain his reasoning to you. "It's white because, in every group of people, there's always one person who stands out. One who is more beautiful than the rest. Just like you, (y/n). It was so sweet, the tears started to trickle down your cheeks. 

Tony stepped towards you and took your hands in yours. He sighed. "You know that I'm not very good at this kind of stuff. I want to be, but I'm never sure I have the right idea you know," he asked and you nodded. "I know I should show my romantic side more. I realized that recently. I realized that you deserve that much." he looked so upset with himself, but before you could say anything he looked at you with a pleading look, begging you to just let him finish. So you did. " I'm not good at this kind of thing, but I love you (y/n). I love you so very much. You are my whole world, and without you, I don't know where I would be. You complete me, and I never want to be without you again, as long as I live-" he let go of your one hand and began fishing around in his pocket for something. "What I'm trying to say is" kneeling down in the sand, (y/n) (y/m/n) (y/l/n), will you marry me?" he asked. By this point, the tears couldn't be held back and you were sobbing. You nodded enthusiastically, grabbed his face, and bringing him up to kiss you.

Fireworks started to go off in the background above the lake, Tony turned with you to watch them. "Oh, Tony this is amazing. All of this has been amazing." you marveled as you took in the fireworks. "I'll try to be more romantic, I promise," he assured you. "Tony, I don't care about that, all I need is you," you assured him. He seemed dissatisfied with this answer. "Ok fine, I'll settle for flowers every once in a while, but nothing this big ever again please, it was exhausting!" You remarked, and he laughed. "I know, I may have gone over the top, but I had to. It was for you." He said pulling you closer into him. "Tony. You got FIREWORKS And a LOT of them too!" you chided him, and he laughed again. "What?! I was fairly confident you would say yes!" he said nonchalantly. You just shook your head and kissed him again under the bright glow of the fireworks. You couldn't wait to be his wife.