I'll Always Have You (Steve Rogers)

**Edited and Revised on 01/26/21**

Prompt: You are Steve's girlfriend and also Pietro's cousin. They both take care of you during an illness or injury. 

This was absolutely not how I want to be spending my time. I want to be out in the field doing what I love best.  Getting the bad guys, taking risks, and preserving the legacy of my nickname. Which coincidentally, is exactly how I ended up here. I hate hospitals, with a burning passion. I absolutely cannot stand being cooped up. In a way, I'm very much like my cousin, I constantly need to be moving, and I can never sit still. I'm just not as fast as he is. Yeah, Pietro Maximoff is my cousin. Yeah lucky me. He tends to hover and worry over every single detail when it comes to me and my safety. And he was doing a fine job of it right now. Zipping about the hospital bothering nurses and doctors, and not to mention, likely the other patients. He was making a fuss for nothing. It was just some broken bones. Injuries come with my line of work. Technically speaking, I've been contracted out to the Avengers, and work for Fury. But I'm better known as one of the world's best assassins. They call me the "hidden blade". As cliche as it sounds, I won't deny it's accuracy. 

I think guns are lame, and never use them. A Katana on the other hand? I think they're just a little more elegant, and add a bit of flair to my job. As for the hidden part? It's always more interesting when they never see it coming. So how did one of the world's best assassins end up in the hospital with countless broken bones? Misinformation. They gave me the wrong number of hostiles. They told me three, there were six. I turned my back for a moment and they snapped my leg. Which of course meant sloppy work on my part, and someone having to clean up my mess for me before they could get me out of there. And of course, the rescue team decided to bring my cousin with them. And he was currently speeding around acting like I was about to die.  "Pietro. Stop. Pacing!" I hissed at him through my teeth desperate for him to stop this nonsense. He whipped around to glare me down. "In case you haven't pieced it together yet cousin, I am worried." He shrieked back at me. I couldn't help it. My only response was to roll my eyes and sigh. He had called my boyfriend hours ago to alert him of the "Situation" but he wasn't picking up his phone. 

I, however, was not as worried as my cousin. A part of me always worried when Steve didn't answer his phone. I knew he was busy, but his job was a dangerous one, he was always at risk, and part of me couldn't help but think the worst when he didn't answer his calls. Yeah, my cousin is Pietro Maximoff and my boyfriend is Steve Rogers.  Steve and I met three years ago when I almost killed him by mistake. Fury had forgotten to inform me that he was sending Steve along on the mission, and I, thinking he was a hostile,  dropped down onto his shoulder holding a footlong blade to his neck. Luckily for him, he was able to explain himself before I drew that blade across his throat and killed him. We've been inseparable ever since that day. 

As every hour crept by with no signs of Steve showing up, and no contact from him, panic truly began to set in. The doctors had ordered me to try my best to sleep, as I would need it for surgery in the morning. Pietro begged and pleaded with me to sleep but I found it nearly impossible. For nearly three years I had always slept with Steve by my side, and I had forgotten what it felt like to sleep by myself. And I didn't like it. Pietro sat down on the bed beside me. "(Y/N), I know that you can't sleep without him. But I need you to try ok? For me? For Steve? You know that he would want what's best for you. And you know, that's what is best for you. I'll lay right here with you. I won't leave. I promise. Just try to rest." I nodded and placed my head down on my cousin's chest, my worried tears staining the light grey material of his shirt. I finally fell asleep wondering where Steve was, if he was ok, and if was ever going to see him again. The morning was a blur that I can hardly remember.  Pietro continued zooming around getting me anything I might require, and doing anything he could to take care of me. He gripped my hand tightly before they took me away for surgery. "You're going to be ok. I'll see you when you come back down ok? Good luck trooper." He said sending me off to my surgery. I took one last look at the empty room before leaving it behind, hoping that in the few seconds my head had been turned, Steve would show up behind me.

When I finally came to after my surgery, everything was a blur. It took a few tries to open my eyes. When I finally opened my eyes and looked around my room, I saw a familiar blonde sitting in the chair beside my bed, hunched over, asleep. Assuming in my confused state of mind that it was my cousin I decided to wake him. "Pietro." I hissed hoping to wake him. No answer. "Pietro!" I tried again only louder, still getting no response. I took my hair clip off the bedside table and tossed it at his shoulder. That seemed to get his attention. Except when he finally came to, I realized it wasn't my cousin sitting in that chair. My heart skipped a beat, then started racing. My eyes started glazing over, and I felt overwhelmed and relieved all at once. "Steve..." I whispered suddenly coming to a loss for words. "Hi, darling. How ya feeling?" He asked casually. If I didn't know him so well, I would have missed the look of worry that danced over his handsome features, and vanished as quickly as it had appeared. "I am fine. But you mister, have some explaining to do. 48 hours. No calls, no texts, nothing. Steve; I thought you were-" I couldn't bear to say it, as I tried to keep the tears from slipping down my face. "Darling, I am so sorry. We got trapped. We had to wait to get a team in there to take us out; and then there were technical difficulties, and no cell service in the mountains- I am beyond sorry that I wasn't here." he apologized. 

For the first time in hours, I felt like I was able to breathe. "C'mere," I whispered waving him over to sit beside me on the bed. Given his size, Steve alone took up most of the bed. Being careful not to hurt me, he lifted me up in one swift motion, layed down on the bed, and gently placed me down on top of him. I placed my head down on his chest, letting all the tension and thoughts of losing him go. He was here, and he was safe. "(Y/N), I love you and I'm sorry. I'm just so glad you're ok." I lifted my head up to look at him. "God Steve, I love you too. Don't worry. Pietro took amazing care of me. " He smiled a small, soft half-smile, before quickly pecking me on the lips, which quickly turned into a bit more heated kissing. I had missed him dearly. He had been away for what seemed like ages. Knowing he was here, and safe was the most gratifying feeling. Feeling his strong arms wrapped around my waist, and his soft lips on mine was all I needed right now. It was pure bliss, and I never wanted it to end. It was like a fantasy scene from a movie. But those scenes always end eventually. Mine ended when I heard the unmistakable sound of my cousin zooming back into my room, and dropping the coffee he had promised to come back with. Apparently, he had not known that Steve had come back. 

The two quickly got into a small argument about which one of them was taking better care of me. I sighed. I was a very lucky girl to have two amazing people be looking out for me all the time. This was going to be quite a lengthy recovery if these two kept at it like this. They both wanted what was best for me, and after nearly three years, communication between the two was something they were still working on. Oh well, everything comes with time. I chuckled to myself as I drifted off to sleep with the sound of their bickering in the background. I wouldn't have it any other way. That's exactly what I loved both of them.  I fell asleep knowing everything would turn out ok. How could it not, with such an amazing cousin and loving boyfriend helping me out every step of the way.