Poe De Spell (Romantic Scenario - "Wrapped in Velvet")

TW: Tyranny, Blood, Transmutation, Baneful Magick, Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - Do you ever write emotion in such a way that you feel it yourself?

Boisterous cheers filled the tavern as a band of villagers flooded inside from the rain. Various patrons flocked to the new arrivals with eager hands, and piles of gold coins landed in their clutches. Jewels seemed to fall in torrents from the ceiling, decorating the tattered garb clinging to starved figures in radiant hues. When half the inhabitants lifted arms stocked with riches, curious whispers turned to uproarious laughter.

Spirited souls began to lock limbs with one another and skip around the inn. The stench of wet dogs and rusted iron permeated the air, yet it failed to dissuade the rebellious euphoria of the burghers. Howls reverberated through the flimsy walls, the cries of a turbulent nature providing a backdrop for their songs. The taste of fried eggs and turnips lingered in every word.

Downing a glass of water, you turned your back to the festivities. The seat beneath you grew uncomfortable, urging your body to fidget with the notion that the villagers' bravery was a mask for their stupidity. The riches would have been welcome by any other method, but their faith in your rulers' ignorance courted tragedy. You had grasped the handle of your wicker basket and were approaching the door when a gemstone was tossed inside the container.

A raucous chortle prompted you to whirl around. Leagues of emaciated villagers surrounded a smiling duck, who was flinging an array of jewels towards any visible faces. The glossy veneer of the rock beckoned to you, glistening amongst the leeks and radishes coated in dirt. Bobbing your head in frustration and glancing around the room, you aimed to cast the stone into the hands of the duck.

Black tendrils seeped into the tavern, filling the crevices in the door and spilling onto the floor like a broken dam. Jagged claws grasped the lumber as if they were a tremendous beast seeking shelter. As the door swung ajar, the whistles of vicious winds coalesced with monstrous roars. Flying shadows invaded the building in a cyclone of rain and crimson eyes. Their lower body had morphed into a tail, and their arms seemed to graze the floor even when they glided to the ceiling.

Two dark figures emerged from the mouth of the storm, hands intertwined. Bursts of purple flames sailed into the tavern and stripped multiple burghers of their lives. Piles of ash permeated the air as screaming devolved into bleating, and their remains were dressed in the gold they had worshiped moments earlier. Jewels shattered as the owners who had neglected to flee lost their arms.

“We gave them quite a scare, didn't we?” Giggling collided with a sinister tone in a cacophony of taunts, the shadows vacating the entrance. Light from the chandelier shone down upon the twin silhouettes to reveal Poe and Magica De Spell. Magica peered at each soul with a malignant grin, volatile enthusiasm embodying the wave of her hand. A quiet determination governed Poe's slow sweep of the throng, and his yellow eyes gleamed at the sight of your gem.

Retreating with a shriek, a villager attempted to dash towards one of the many busted windows. Magica lunged at them and yanked their quaking form to the ground, threatening to unleash a variety of curses. Shadows swooped to their side and seized their limbs in robust grips.

Poe lowered his gaze to the jewel before looking at you with a sedate expression.

Sobbing flooded your ears as any patrons who had failed to dive behind the bar or leap through a window were herded against the wall like livestock en route to the slaughterhouse. Arm beset by tremors, you tore the rock from your basket and presented it to Poe. A surge of feminine cackling spurred you to lurch forward and hold the stone closer to him.