Lord Shen (Platonic Scenario - "Fallen Leaves")

TW: Abuse of Power, Violence, Blood, Death, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - Takes place decades before the events of the movie. Some of the dialogue is written in Romanized Mandarin Chinese.

Lanterns hung from thin strings attached to the tall ceilings glowed with flames of cranberry-red, each cradled by metal and bowl-like sheets. Tapestries that depicted East Asian flora draped the inside of the tower and contrasted with the blue and red symbols adorning the elegant walls. The top floor was lined with broad windows, the tracery of which allowed natural light, both the sandy glow of the sun and the silver waves of the moon, to flood onto the polished tile, and it reflected all visitors in the rosy tint of dusk.

Silverback gorillas were stationed in a circle around the throne, facing outwards. A stone spear rested with its blunt end on the ground in the hold of their massive, sinewy hands, which were larger than the skulls of most Gongmen City residents. The duo who guarded the top of the long staircase that stretched from the bottom of the tower to the upper floor greeted the king with snorts.

Upon reaching the final steps, a pair of tan antelope flocked to the king. They donned teal and mocha robes that flaunted flowery and ornate patterns worth more than the average lifetime income of the peasants, and porcelain plates containing the dew of ginkgo trees were clutched in their hooves. Servile inquiries about his health and appetite gushed from their mouths like excitable children swarming their parents.

The king scrunched his eyes and waved a hand at them as he passed as if shooing insects. Words never pausing, the courtiers shifted their attention and offerings to Shen. The prince recoiled and quickened his pace, but the commander approached the plates with a curious sniff and a lolling tongue. His jaws snapped shut around vacant air as the antelope hugged the food to their chest with disdainful and repulsed expressions.

Ears flattening, the wolf observed the courtiers through narrowed eyes and vibrated with a guttural snarl when they scurried to the side of the king. The jingling of rings and piercings in their ears filled the room like bags of coins shaking. From his occasional discussion with the rare wolf whose gaze extended farther than the tip of his weapon, Shen had long since deigned to look upon the antelope's rotund shapes and thought of the peasants whose loose-fitting clothes outlined their skeletons.

The body of his pale blue robe mimicked fish scales, and if one had seen the pattern before the stitches in the embroidery, one would have guessed it belonged to a creature swimming in the ocean. A maroon stripe descended from his collar to his feet, which were obscured by a black ruffle that dragged along the floor. The trim on his sleeves was an ostentatious combination of golden, black and flaming orange.

Shen sauntered behind his father, enjoying the comfort of his silk robe that was a solitary shade darker than the snowy appearance of his plumage. The metal joints in his talons slinked across the wood floor like twin glasses clinking. Paws slapping the floorboards and claws scraping them after each step, the commander marched beside the prince.

As the king turned to peer at his son, his eyes crinkled in disgust. "Keep them out of the throne room. Please, Shen." Exasperation bore heavily upon his voice, and he planted a hand on the end of his beak as if holding his nose. The courtiers surrounded him with their aromas of peaches in a desperate attempt to relieve his besieged nostrils from the lupine stench of the commander.

The wolf bowed his head and curled his lips, exposing his fangs with a quiet growl. He ambled back down the staircase only when the prince gave a slight nod of his head.