Sprout Cloverleaf (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons)

TW: Abuse of Power, Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - So I got around to watching the G5 movie, and his song is my favourite.

Platonic:

With the first general exchange of power in the relationship, such as asking for his opinion before making a decision, Sprout exaggerates his role in the process. He becomes eager to give his stance on every aspect of their life, commenting on their food of choice and the type of company they keep. When this behaviour is left unchecked, it snowballs into Sprout acting like his friend is incapable of functioning without his guidance and only increasing his efforts to dictate their day if he learns that they performed on their own.

For all his grandstanding and momentary confidence, Sprout is emotionally frail. If his friend rejects a piece of his advice or tells him to stop giving it altogether, Sprout wilts and desperately searches for a way to reclaim his standing with them that, at least in his eyes, he has lost. The deputy alternates between over-exerting himself, usually by purchasing expensive gifts like several boxes of pizza, and falling into a meek and needy state where he follows them around and apologizes in a self-effacing manner until they relent.

As the son of the owner of a massive corporation, Sprout has unrestricted access to a plethora of wealth and resources. Phyllis's careless indulgence of his whims has made him accustomed to instant gratification and less so to a firm no. The way Sprout handles the situation and his prevailing attitude towards it is juvenile, more closely resembling a foal struggling to entertain his first friend than it does an adult pony grappling with an interpersonal dilemma.

Romantic:

Sprout compares himself to everyone who interacts with his partner, taking pride in any perceived flaws they have and brooding over the virtues that he lacks. These thoughts are generally suppressed and left to fester in the form of passive-aggressive remarks and bursts of seemingly unfounded anger at a later date, but Sprout will interrupt the other pony if he is particularly invested in the conversation or having a bad day. Despite presenting a confident facade when no pony that he fears is better than him is nearby, Sprout continues to crave the approval of his partner and will falter if they rebuke him.

Sprout is not opposed to abusing the authority that comes with being the deputy of Maretime Bay. Instead, he is exceedingly comfortable with accusing his partner's friends of false crimes and threatening jail time whenever someone is especially nice to them or protests against his behaviour. Hitch overturns most would-be arrests when he is in town, but his attempts to convince Sprout not to harass citizens for befriending his partner only cause Sprout to believe that Hitch wants to endanger the relationship and make him look like a fool.

Arguments or jealous fits that earn the scorn of his partner result in Sprout turning to his mother for comfort. Phyllis is subjected to a series of teary-eyed visits from her son where he vents about his frustrations with their neglect of him and the perceived interference from other ponies, talks which breed concern in Phyllis when she has time separate from her management of Canterlogic. Any advice she offers is either misinterpreted as an encouragement to be domineering or extended to a disproportionate length, such as smearing the reputations of select ponies after his mother suggests that he emphasize his strengths.