Camilo Madrigal (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons)

TW: Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - The most requested member of the family alongside Bruno.

Platonic:

Beneath the easygoing confidence, there exists doubt about his place in the world and what he should be doing with his life and gift. The ideal day for Camilo is gallivanting around the town of Encanto with his friend while he does impressions of his family members. As someone who lives the majority of his life in the limits of Casa Madrigal, the shapeshifter is disheartened by his friend having other arrangements that interfere with their ability to spend time with him.

Camilo seeks to give them a stress-free existence where they have nothing but time to laugh at his impersonations and support whatever whim has his attention that day. This is a reality that he believes they covet too, and he achieves it by -- unbeknownst to anyone but himself -- imitating whoever endowed them with the responsibility and telling them not to worry about it. Camilo later informs his friend of his actions if they seem thankful, which is near the time when the rest of the Madrigals grow wise to his behaviour.

His friend is a haven for when he has no wish to discuss or confront his troubles, personal or familial, and wants to enjoy the simple fun of pranking strangers. Drama is little more than a stage prop for the far more exciting and amusing show that is humour, and Camilo motivates his friend to ditch their problems and join him for a good laugh. He can be a bit insensitive in this regard, preferring to treat any conflict as a comical development for fear that acknowledging the root of the issue will worsen it and lead to the collapse of the relationship.

The nature of the attention is irrelevant. A positive response encourages him to view his friend as a reliable source of praise and visit them more often, while a negative response is still them diverting their attention from something else for him. A lukewarm response is the only thing that gives Camilo pause, as it leaves him nothing to work with and compels him to shift his methods to more aggressive and desperate alternatives.

As the relationship evolves, Camilo gradually expands his comfort zone regarding whom from his friend's life he chooses to impersonate. It begins with a citizen who they seem to pass on the street multiple times and snowballs into the shapeshifter imitating their family members for quick chats that become increasingly commonplace.

Romantic:

When impersonating someone to further interact with his partner, he does not bother to adopt a whole new personality. Shades of his playful attitude and prankster tendencies bleed through the disguise and warn his partner to take another look at the person speaking to them. If caught, Camilo reverts to his natural form and treats the situation like a funny prank.

Camilo dances around the idea of a confession, never being serious enough about it to follow through with an opportunity. Instead, he leans into the beginning of one several times, only to lose his courage and disregard it as a joke when his partner fails to recognize his sincerity or is not immediately receptive to it. The shapeshifter worries that this level of emotional honesty will be viewed as weak or a disappointment given his carefree nature and fondness for mocking his family when they partake in such matters.

Not yet comfortable with the vulnerability, Camilo sustains himself with the hope that they will never become involved with anyone. If his partner were to be engaged to or dating someone else, the shapeshifter expresses his frustration via mean-spirited ribbing and various attempts to disrupt the courtship. The admirer and their relationship with his partner become the butt of many of his jokes, and he tells them to his partner with the expectation that they will agree the person is an idiot and leave them.

Private moments are interrupted by Camilo jumping into the conversation with an offer to prank someone together while pretending not to notice the other person. Date nights are ruined by him announcing false emergencies and sometimes creating one, such as impersonating the waiter at a restaurant and continually messing up the order to draw an ugly side of their admirer's personality. When Camilo sees his partner alone, he deliberately makes plans with them during times that would otherwise be reserved for the admirer.

His behaviour is more annoying than it is harmful unless this other relationship shows no signs of ending and has persisted for a long time. Especially if there is talk of his partner moving away from Encanto, Camilo elects to impersonate their admirer and stage a breakup.