Count Duckula (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons) (1988)

TW: Implied Kidnapping, Emotional Manipulation, Implied Violence, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - Out of the three (3) versions of Duckula you could have, he's the easiest to handle.

Platonic:

Ever the superficial hero, Duckula likes to boast about bravery and prestige but falters when confronted with real defiance. He generally expresses discontent with his friend through sarcasm and snide remarks, but catch him in a bad mood and he will start whining about everything he -- when, in reality, Igor and Nanny do most of the work -- does to accommodate them. Duckula has no other friends and longs to be accepted by someone who is not bound to his family.

The less his friend knows about his history, the better. Duckula fears that any indication of his vampiric nature will cause them to flee, or worse, attack. He protests his benevolence at every opportunity to lessen the potential shock of the reveal, but the malignant words of Igor question the validity of this motive. The butler is distrustful of his master's friend and offers covert threats when they go against Duckula's wishes.

The Count's family and Goosewing are labelled as menaces to his friend's safety, so their existence is concealed as much as possible. Igor sics anyone suspected of knowing, not because he cares but because he delights in the fact that Duckula is not entirely opposed to him employing violent methods in this case. Nanny acts like the entire situation is an eternal playdate, deterring any attempts to leave via her super strength or destructive clumsiness and insisting that they live in the castle.

Romantic:

Rejection, however blunt, is ignored. Desperate to please those who he admires, Duckula says whatever he needs to at any given moment to be closer to his partner. The Count promises wealth and fame because he projects his desires onto them, but his eagerness to dismiss the truth and refusal to surrender their attention long enough to make progress keep most of these vows unfulfilled.

While indifferent to the success and longevity of the relationship itself, Igor enjoys the emotional unrest that it incites within Duckula. He encourages his master to indulge every stroke of irrational hatred for his partner's friends in hopes that he will attack one and gain the taste for blood. By voicing wary thoughts that he pulled from mundane observations and planting seeds of doubt in Duckula, the butler vilifies the most innocuous social interactions in a ruthless attempt to provoke the Count into embracing his ancestry.

Nanny enables Duckula's worst impulses to the extent that she tries to prevent his partner from leaving the castle whenever he wishes to be around them, which is almost all the time. She fails to understand the disquieting nature of his behaviour and treats any unwillingness to be in his presence with chastisement and ignorance of the deeper problem. Duckula is incapable of wrongdoing in her eyes, and all efforts to convince the hen otherwise end with her repeating the argument either to Igor, who twists it into his next manipulative escapade, or Duckula, who evolves from annoying into suffocating.