Mushu (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons) (Mulan)

TW: Mentions of Violence, Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - Now I just need someone to request the Genie from Aladdin. Good times!

Platonic:

Spending much of his centuries-long existence in the company of the Fa ancestors, who taunt and belittle him for his puny stature, has done little to nurture compassion in the dragon. It breeds a cantankerous and sensitive attitude towards any perceived insults, leading to Mushu treating his friend's honour as his own and retaliating with harsh words when someone disrespects them. If punches are thrown and a brawl results, Mushu acts like he is the toughest fighter in China until the opponent intimidates him, after which he relies on his friend and a fair share of miracles to finish what he started.

A guardian at heart and in spirit, Mushu declares himself his friend's protector and views it as his responsibility to escort them through their daily life. Any trips to the Imperial City or the stone roads in the Chinese wilderness are not complete unless Mushu is sitting in their bag or on their shoulders. The dragon is far too talkative and eager for attention to follow from a distance for very long, but he is not as generous with the whims of others and asserts his suspicion of anyone who tries to engage his friend in conversation.

Mushu places great emphasis on his wants and needs and has a habit of blurring the line between his friend's priorities and his own. It is a manner of self-deception to avoid guilt when he aims to trick them into advancing one of his goals, and if his friend ever confronts him about it, Mushu falters but continues to downplay his actions. A common scheme involves revenge against someone who has upset either them or him, his usual strategy being to slander the person and convince his friend to cut them out of their life.

Romantic:

Some of his unresolved frustration with his treatment at the hands of the Fa ancestors is projected onto his partner, with the dragon claiming to speak for them while using the words that he wishes to say. At the first sign of disrespect for his partner, Mushu leaps to their defence whether or not it is wanted or advisable and berates the offender for as long as his lungs can support it. Cri-Kee seeks to dissuade him from further escalating the situation, and Mulan, if she is available, adopts the role of mediator and tries to shoo the dragon.

His past failure to protect the Fa Family and subsequent demotion have had little effect on his ego, which surpasses his capabilities and encourages Mushu to paint himself as the best guardian when in the presence of his partner. This title is maintained through fiery illusions and telling the ancestors to pamper him when his partner visits the temple rather than sincere demonstrations of power. Despite his arrogant facade, Mushu is stricken with fear at the implication that his methods are failing or, at the very least, not working as well as he expected.

If someone else is interested in his partner or the dragon simply thinks of them as a bad fit, Mushu attempts to undermine the relationship. Nearby objects are sabotaged to make them seem foolish, gifts are hidden to suggest an ungrateful nature and insects are dumped in their clothes just out of spite. Should tormenting them prove ineffective, Mushu imitates a powerful spirit or, if a statue is handy, the Golden Dragon of Unity to warn the interloper that any possible relationship is doomed and threatens to curse them if they pursue it anyway.