Isabela Madrigal (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons)

TW: Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - One of the subtler members of the Family Madrigal. Who's next?

Platonic:

When there are people nearby to observe her interactions with her friend, Isabela is the prim and demure woman that she feels obligated to be in the public eye. Beyond growing their favourite flower and handing it to them, she retrains the urge to be more earnest and forthcoming in how happy their presence makes her. Isabela fears that knowledge of her enthusiasm will travel to her family and result in them judging her friend to be bad for her and hinting that she should end the connection.

Isabela wishes to use her gift out of a sincere want and not the expectations of others. To show her gratitude for their companionship, she decorates her friend's home with an array of vines and flowers while ignoring the neighbouring properties or at least granting the neighbours a far less bountiful taste of nature. Isabela does not always ask permission to do this, and if anyone questions her favouritism, she claims to be acting on a request and insists that she is giving equal attention to every villager.

If her friend is especially welcoming or encourages her to be honest with her emotions and opinions, Isabela is prone to losing track of the time and skipping a day's work. Her frolicking with them is interrupted by either the moon rising or a member of the family, often Camilo or Luisa, coming to search for her. The event brings Isabela great shame and scolding from Alma for her lapse in judgment, and Isabela alternates between trying to forget about her friend and wanting to curse the unrealistic expectations placed on her and return to them.

Isabela finds comfort in her friend having some distance from her family, believing that she can shed her mask of perfection and be a new person in their company. They listen to her rant about unfair engagements and the impression that others are interested only in the side of her gift that yields beautiful flowers. She views her friend as an emotional safety net and a beacon of stability for when she needs an excuse to evade Mariano, and if they are receptive, Isabela is inclined to populate their land with thick foliage to deter anyone else from visiting while she is there.

Romantic:

For as long as Mariano is set to marry her, Isabela keeps quiet about her relationship with her partner when around other Madrigals. She refrains from neglecting her duty to beautify the Casa Madrigal and avoiding her fiancée no matter how much she would prefer to relax with her partner far away from unwanted responsibilities. After Mariano proposes, Dolores overhears the apologetic and wistful conversations Isabela has with her partner and is faced with a dilemma.

While debating whether to leak her cousin's secret or leave it confidential, the uncertainty plaguing Dolores is caught by the rest of the family. Isabela expresses her dissent via a perpetual trail of flowers that follows her everywhere she goes, but she denies any claims that her partner is the source of her distress. Mirabel and Luisa are the first to attempt to comfort her, their words leading to Isabela deciding that the best way to appease her family is to distance herself from her partner.

After repairing her relationship with Maribel and nullifying her engagement to Mariano, Isabela is much more open with her affection and no longer worries about drawing criticism or judgement from others. She grants her partner the lushest garden in Encanto and spends more time conversing with them than she does at home. Isabela is content with not marrying her partner if that is their preference, but she is resistant to the idea of them marrying someone else and becomes grumpy if it is suggested or a joke is made about it.

If someone is troubling her partner or grows closer to them than she has despite her renewed effort, Isabela covers the offender's yard with an assortment of poisonous and carnivorous plants. A path they commonly walk to meet her partner is littered with spiky cacti that poke no one but them. Isabela subjects them to minor pains for as long as she can get away with it, removing the dangerous plants once the person complains to her family about vines blocking their front door. She rebuts any accusations or questions of her involvement but assumes that her message was understood.