Sheriff Woody (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons)

TW: Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - 2021 is going out with a yeehaw.

Platonic:

His temporary homelessness and journey through Sid's house with Buzz Lightyear granted him a new respect for other toys, but before that, Woody is a controlling companion who feels the need to plan his friend's day for them. He believes that they are grateful for his assistance and claims that deviation from his schedule is a catalyst for danger. This intolerance fades once he accepts Buzz into Andy's collection, but he continues to insist on escorting them when they wish to explore anywhere and does not hesitate to voice his distrust of a situation or idea regardless of his friend's passion for it.

No matter what they call home - a house, a shop, a daycare -, Woody is preoccupied with keeping his friend in the best of health. The thought of them being scrapped or thrown in the trash haunts him every time they tear a seam or crack their body, and he views his paranoid fears as logical assumptions that are too great of a risk to ignore. When his owners are not around, Woody steals all the glue, tape, and spare parts he can find and talk his more agreeable housemates, such as Buzz and Slinky Dog, into swiping from drawers and cabinets.

The sheriff is not known for patience, and while he is perceptive to any threats to his friend's safety, Woody is prone to mixing sources of mere annoyance with hazards that need to be resolved. He tries to separate them from anyone they dislike and inevitably takes their side in a disagreement with someone else, only to pretend that he would never value their life and opinions above those of others if doubted.

Romantic:

Woody held many of Andy's toys to a strict regimen and considered himself to be their de facto leader, so one of the biggest indicators of his favouritism is how forgiving he is towards his partner when they almost get caught or lost. The sheriff is inclined to blame unlucky circumstances or, if it was a group activity that went awry, another toy for the near-miss and strengthens his overbearing nature for a while after. He expects others to be just as invested in keeping his partner out of trouble, which leads to Woody scolding toys for not knowing the whereabouts of his partner when he wants to speak with them.

If his partner is a new toy, Woody's belief that they need his guidance and oversight is heightened for as long as they do not rebuff his efforts. He struggles with the desire to tell the rest of the toys to allow them extra attention from their owner and the urge to conceal his partner until he is certain that they will be played with carefully and securely. There is no clear victor in his mental battle unless Buzz or Jessie intervenes and argues that Woody is stifling their experience, and Mr. Potato Head and Ham are quick to add examples of him micromanaging his partner to compel the sheriff to give them some freedom.

If he does not approve of someone who associates with them, Woody mistakes what is most likely envy for a sense of malicious intent that everyone else seems to overlook. He denies that his emotions are clouding his judgment and professes the individual's hidden agenda until either his partner or Buzz asks him to stop, after which he resigns to quiet complaints and private rants.